EI Stator with points

lumbee

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks, getting started on the wiring on my chop. I have a newer stator that has the EI pickup, but am going with points up top (cuz that's what I have and the cheap bastard in me does not want to buy the timing rod pickup).

I found this diagram online https://xs650chopper.com/regulatorrectifier-combo-with-points-wiring-diagram/

Am I reading this right that I can just ignore the pickup that's down on the stator and add a condenser and wire everything up like a pre-80 system? Also, in the notes, they talk about using nylon screws to hold the brush assembly in place correct? So its ungrounded?

The brushes on your '80 or later stator are already ungrounded, isolated from the stator housing .....

LateBrushesInsideLabeled.jpg

..... so there's no need to change to nylon screws. You do that when you have a '79 or older stator and want to use an '80 and later style type A ground switching regulator.

Heads up, Lumbee! You can run into two typical issues when you retrofit breaker point ignition to a late motor. First, be sure to research advance governor /ATU issues; worn bobweight tips can cause serious trouble. Second, because nothing was going to be installed in them, the camshaft center holes on TCI models were left unfinished, and have been known to crack when bushings and grease seals are forced in. You may need to carefully clean up the holes with a paper roll on a rotary tool or die grinder.

Heads up, Lumbee! You can run into two typical issues when you retrofit breaker point ignition to a late motor. First, be sure to research advance governor /ATU issues; worn bobweight tips can cause serious trouble. Second, because nothing was going to be installed in them, the camshaft center holes on TCI models were left unfinished, and have been known to crack when bushings and grease seals are forced in. You may need to carefully clean up the holes with a paper roll on a rotary tool or die grinder.
This should not be an issue. I'm just using a stator from a later model, the engine itself is pre-1980.

Back