Electrical Help

smokestacks

XS650 Member
Reaction score
have a 78 motor with Pamco standard ignition with a stock advance unit, sparx capacitor, and am installing a new HHB PMA on it, as PO had fried the old stator, and I wanted a fresh start.

I got it fired yesterday because I hooked it up to my old harness, but it was not regulating. It would idle at 11 or so and then when revved, shoot up to 15 and blow my headlight before i would kill it in fear of frying everything. I know all my grounds are ran properly. they are all grounded to the back of the coil mount screw(unless this is my problem and a shit place to ground), and they are all tied to the engine at the cam chain tensioner as an extra motor ground too.

The regulator/rectifier i got with my kit has the 3 standard yellow wires that go to yellow on stator......check......red goes to positive on cap....check.....ground reg to frame...check......there is not mention of the green wire from the reg in the new instructions. In the old kit, green went to ground and the online tech for PMA install says the same, so I assumed it was the same case.....i messaged Hugh and he said red is 12v+ and green is 12v-.this has me stumped. so would connecting the green to ground on this new unit send positive signal through the ground as 0-(-12) = 12? Do I not use the Green on the new one?

Could my capacitor be bad even though it starts up and runs? and that's what is sending the surges to the rest of my stuff on accel?

This is my wiring diagram. forgive the crudeness, as i made it in paint.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 132
Please give more info
On the picture of the wiring there is no green from regulator rectifier
Please provide a link to what charging and rectifier components
So we can google
Not knowing the facts my first guess is poor ground on regulator / rectifier or defect
But again please give more info
Never heard of -12 V to +12 V on these bikes 0 to +12 V usually
But it can still be so.
Electrically speaking a -12 v connected to 0 may give current
If the schematic is right and not connecting the green --- not drawn could work but please
give info so no blue smoke cloud appears

If that's the unit I think it is, red is 12 volts +(battery) green is 12 volts -(ground) and black is the voltage sense wire(connected to the coil/ignition box feed wire. Ground the black wire and the regulator sees it as a low voltage condition and goes to full output charging.

Bumping this thread because I have developed a new issue. The green was, in fact, ground. So I wired it all up, kicked it over, and it was ok till I gave it some throttle. Brand new Sparx Capacitor popped . I had the regulator and capacitor sharing a ground, not sure if that would cause an issue. I have given every single thing it's own ground now, and got a new capacitor (HHB) to wire in. Am I not supposed to run the negative from regulator to one of the negative terminals on the cap? Do I ground both negative terminals on cap to their own ground? I know for a fact all paint was off my contact points. My regulator tested ok as well. I had a separate ground wire going from the body where the RR mounts to the chassis as well as a failsafe, even though the reg is mounted to a bare metal bracket on my lower motor mount with no paint there either.

Does this wiring diagram look ok?

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 117
Back