Electric start fix UK

chrispyduck

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I recently bought an XS650B that had been mildly/cosmetically restored however the guy I bought it from said the starter was too complicated to fix and would mean an engine strip. The starter does occasionally engage however I almost exclusively have to kick her as it makes a horrible spinning/grinding noise when I press the starter button.
Is there someone UK based who could fix this for me as it's getting increasingly difficult to start via kicker. I don't want to do this myself due to time constraints and other commitments. Ideally I'd get the bike to a competent knowledgeable person to fix for me. Is there anyone out there????

It's a relatively simple fix, if you can take the side cover off and clutch assembly. Look up starter Bendix gear on the forum and that's what needs to be done to fix it. Some sites sell a set of a new Bendix gear, spring and the gear as well.

Thanks for the help.
I used this forum to find step by step guidance and recommendations. Took cover off, clutch off...............then I could see the starter gear and spring. The bit sticking out of the spring was not in the 'U' shaped housing but above it. Squeezed up the spring in a vice and repositioned below the 'U' shaped housing as recommended for 75 bikes onwards.
All back together and starts on the button however there is an annoying whine immediately following stat up lasts for a split second then calms down.

Even after the "fix", these starters aren't perfect. They'll still make some weird noises occasionally, still grind or kick out occasionally as well. I think this may be because the starter wasn't part of the original design and was added afterward a few years later, kind of an afterthought I guess you could say, lol. The best thing you can do is keep the bike in a good state of tune so it starts easily and quickly, that way you won't be over-working the starter.

Tri spark makes a good electronic ignition kit, made in Australia (don't say anything about the women's world cup) . Don't go with xscharge.

Good advice 5twins. Love the quirkyness of this bike. Any recomendations for an electronic ignition kit.
Your experience similar to mine - starter makes horrible grinding noises and now doesn't start the engine so I always ignore it and use the kick. The bike starts readily, first or second kick from cold and usually first kick when warm.

I would suggest Boyer Bransden - no trouble with the kit on my XS. Have previously run BB on Norton Commando, Kawasaki Z1B and an old Triumph TR6. Recently fitted to RE Bullet. Straightforward to fit and adjust, final adjustment with a strobe and should not need to touch it again. And it's British and the aftersales backup is good.

Your experience similar to mine - starter makes horrible grinding noises and now doesn't start the engine so I always ignore it and use the kick. The bike starts readily, first or second kick from cold and usually first kick when warm.

I would suggest Boyer Bransden - no trouble with the kit on my XS. Have previously run BB on Norton Commando, Kawasaki Z1B and an old Triumph TR6. Recently fitted to RE Bullet. Straightforward to fit and adjust, final adjustment with a strobe and should not need to touch it again. And it's British and the aftersales backup is good.
Ah okay thanks Raymond.

Back