I dunno if this is the place for it. -XS650 issues-

Akustaka

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Summary at the bottom if too lazy to read.
13654233_1409732109042103_4889479892559167463_n.jpg

(Picture after heavy cleaning, picture credit: Akustaka)

So I have a 1978 Yamaha XS 650 with an aftermarket magnet based charging system, to the best of my knowledge that is all that has been done to it since it mainly seemed stock except for the horrendous rape of the electrical system hanging off the side. (Both side panels covering electrical systems gone). I purchased the bike for 300 and have put another 350 into it total including the aftermarket electric charging system since the stock was fried, gas, and a can of seafoam to mix with the gasoline to clean the carb and engine out. So here is the real issue I am having, Upon going to the guy to purchase the motorcycle when he was able to get it to start (Since the old stator system was fried and required juice to run which could not be easily provided until I brought my own battery to use, and even then we had to jump it to get it to start) it was backfiring like crazy, or "lean popping" as my local mechanic that took a look into it for me has now said after I purchased it. I took apart the carb myself and cleaned it though this is my first motorcycle and I didnt have an air compressor so my job may of been lackluster in this area, though I feel I did a good job cause I cleaned ALOT of shit out of there. And it was still popping bad, it is mainly off the left exhaust. After about a week of constantly messing with it by mainly just starting it and putting it around abit the issue began to very slow clear up and get better, though keep in mind I forgot to say that during my first month of owning it, while riding (illegally) on a backroad to help get the seafoam into the engine it would constantly lose power while trying to hard accelerate, or even with mild acceleration sometimes. this issue has SLOWLY resolved itself and I rarely, RARELY get it anymore while riding it, I feel this may of been something in the carb that was choking off the flow of gas, though when the issue persisted it felt like I was flooding it. (I used to race motorcross in the past so I'm not like soccer mom clueless) What it does now is "lean pop" initially after starting the motorcycle and warming it up, but once you get it heated up and warm before riding at cursing speeds it does not pop AT ALL, or if it does it is like one small pop every 5-12 miles at a time. I also have an issue now where the electric starter does not engage the drive shaft, it makes a small click which me and my local mechanic have since realized is the wire being corodded that leads down from the battery to the starter, that is an easy fix. But something about the electric starter is it turns over the motor and acts like it is trying to start, but never feels like it is really engaging it to get it to kick off. though one kick from the kick starter starts it right up?? ALSO now the kick starter is messing up where you kick it down and it does not turn over and it feels like you are just kicking down on a spring. (it does not bounce back up roughly, but there are no -notches- that are catching to turn over the engine.) I have since let a friend of mine take it on his truck to his fathers garage to work on it and he says the engine is letting out smoke (which I didn't tell him at the time but have since informed him that I now have put in seafoam before he took it to clean the engine out) and he is trying to say that the engine might be shot since there was smoke (from the seafoam in the gas) and also because of the popping, though I told him I believe the popping is just from the carbs needing to be tuned. I also find it very hard to believe that the engine is bad since it cruises perfectly fine now, and accelerates good after working most of the gunk from the engine and carb plus me knowing the smoke from the exhaust is from the seafoam since beforehand it didn't have smoke till adding it.

I was just curious if anyone here could lend some insight or tips on what to do next with the bike, I want to fix it up and use it as a daily driver because the XS 650 is freaking beautiful, I love the bike though it needs ALOT of TLC.

So heres the issues I'm having to sum it up:
1. "lean" popping, or "backfiring" from left exhaust after initial startup.
2. (Not too prominent anymore) Loss of power when hard accelerating.
3. Kickstarter failing to engage the shaft and turnover the engine, feels like just kicking down on a spring.
4. Electric starter just makes a click upon pressing and then depressing the button to engage it.

It's just not possible to troubleshoot at a distance from this kind of information, although I have no doubt at all that some will try. I'm going to offer you this. Never, ever, on any motor, try to diagnose fuel problems without ensuring that the ignition is healthy and properly adjusted and the valve lash set. Never, ever, with any motor let anyone tell you that it needs to be rebuilt in the absence of a compression check. It's common for a motor that's been sitting for a long while to smoke and lose compression until the rings free up from a bit of use. Don't let anyone panic you into selling.

Re. the electric starter, there's plenty of information available on this already, and there's no point repeating it. I'll tell you this much: it's a fairly minor problem. Run a search, you'll find all you need. Ditto the kick starter; you have a common assembly issue, and plenty has been written on it.

The factory service manual for your bike can be downloaded free from www.biker.net. Get it, print it, read it.

Finally, congratulations. 1978 and 1979 were the last years for the Standard models, and you got a bargain.

It's just not possible to troubleshoot at a distance from this kind of information, although I have no doubt at all that some will try. I'm going to offer you this. Never, ever, on any motor, try to diagnose fuel problems without ensuring that the ignition is healthy and properly adjusted and the valve lash set. Never, ever, with any motor let anyone tell you that it needs to be rebuilt in the absence of a compression check. It's common for a motor that's been sitting for a long while to smoke and lose compression until the rings free up from a bit of use. Don't let anyone panic you into selling.

Re. the electric starter, there's plenty of information available on this already, and there's no point repeating it. I'll tell you this much: it's a fairly minor problem. Run a search, you'll find all you need. Ditto the kick starter; you have a common assembly issue, and plenty has been written on it.

The factory service manual for your bike can be downloaded free from www.biker.net. Get it, print it, read it.

Finally, congratulations. 1978 and 1979 were the last years for the Standard models, and you got a bargain.
Thanks man, I highly appreciate your input and will look into the other threads about the electric and kick starter issues I had, I am in no way shape or form planning on selling the motorcycle, even if the engine did turn out to be bad (which I'm pretty sure I know for a fact it isnt) I would still use it as just a put around motorcycle, my nephew is 5 years old and LOVES to ride around on it with me even in just the yard, so if anything I'll keep it for that, or to help me learn how to work on other motorcycles aswell in the future, I have owned motorcross dirtbikes before but not a road legal motorcycle, especially a "cruiser", so I do have a high fondness of it. Especially since look at it this way, My I am a child of 4, my first born sister got a car handed to her for free and she blew the transmission on it, my brother there-after got 3 cars handed to him aswell and TOTALED them all because he is a fucking moron who decided going to a card game 2 hours away in a blizzard is smart, I was the third born and right as I was getting to the age to get a vehicle (handed to me) my parents at the time got into a divorce, so yea. No free car for me. Now my youngest sibling, my little brother will be getting a car handed to him no doubt when he hits 16 since my stepdad is making great money now after divorcing my mother. So in light of all of that I am deeply in love with my bike because it is mine, I fucking bought it, no one will tell me what to do with it, though I will ask for advice now and in the future on it because it is my first vehicle. So again, Thankyou for your input!

Summary at the bottom if too lazy to read

Never met a person yet that likes to be called lazy, and you're asking for help? Get a manual, check out the Tech section on this forum. Check the compression, adjust cam chain and valves, check the battery and charging system. Carburetors are often blamed for electrical problems. Clean the tank, petcock, and fuel system. You have the usual checklist to go through when bringing a bike back to life.

Scott

Never met a person yet that likes to be called lazy, and you're asking for help? Get a manual, check out the Tech section on this forum. Check the compression, adjust cam chain and valves, check the battery and charging system. Carburetors are often blamed for electrical problems. Clean the tank, petcock, and fuel system. You have the usual checklist to go through when bringing a bike back to life.

Scott
But something you need to understand if you haven't read my posts is that this is my first vehicle and my first motorcycle, I have no clue how to do such things that you have described and I wouldn't know even everything that would need to be done because I have never done this before. It is a learning process everyone goes through. Not to mention I usually hate using forums/threads because their confusing as all living fuck to navigate for me.

Hi Akustaka and welcome,
after you are sure the ignition and valve lash are sorted, clean the carbs. XS650s really like their carbs to be clean.
Like, completely apart except for the butterfly shafts because those things are a right swine to take apart and replace and the butterfly shaft seals are almost always OK.
As a long-term investment, buy an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the carb bodies. At the ~$50 a carb a bike shop will charge you it'll pay for itself in a year or two.

Hi Akustaka and welcome,
after you are sure the ignition and valve lash are sorted, clean the carbs. XS650s really like their carbs to be clean.
Like, completely apart except for the butterfly shafts because those things are a right swine to take apart and replace and the butterfly shaft seals are almost always OK.
As a long-term investment, buy an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the carb bodies. At the ~$50 a carb a bike shop will charge you it'll pay for itself in a year or two.
Hello and thankyou for the information and suggestions, could you lead me to a link or explain how to check the ignition and valves? Cause when I think of it on my own I would assume you speaking about ignition would mean the spark plugs and the adjoining wire from them?

Sell me that bike for $400, and you won't have any more problems. Learn to post pictures on this forum, that will help you a lot. Perhaps, start a new thread for every area you get to, stick with that thread until that area is resolved, you might get more attention that way. Get a manual, it has pictures, read the manual. Search the internet for four stroke engine theory.

Scott

Welcome to the site.
You can find a manual here. How is the tool or access to tools situation? You will need them.
A volt meter (a cheap or free one from Habor Freight works), some feeler gauges, metric wrenches and socket set.
For the large oil drain plugs and rear axle nut an 1 1/16 SAE wrench works.
Search this site, google and you tube are good sources also.

Hello and thankyou for the information and suggestions, could you lead me to a link or explain how to check the ignition and valves? Cause when I think of it on my own I would assume you speaking about ignition would mean the spark plugs and the adjoining wire from them?
Hi Akustaka,
Ignition? Like all of it. Start with a fully charged battery, then ignition switch, the points and the coils, then the plug wires, plug caps and the plugs.
Buy a Clymer's manual. Paper is better than on-screen. It'll tell you all about that. Same deal on the valve lash.

Welcome Akustaka, Good bike to start with.

Take the time to read through this link. It has a lot of information and has a good 75B manual converted to jpeg with good pics. It is in 3 languages, that doesn't detract, and there is the 76C and 77D supplementation.
There are links throughout the 3 pages and you will find them in the chapters of the manual they relate to. 2 links, one to the Tappet adjustment and the second to the Cam chain Adjustment work but the poster has YouTube videos set to private, unfortunately the thread is locked and i cannot remove those 2 links
http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

77-83 Front forks are 35mm. 77D was the first year of the 35mm forks but the internals changed in 78 then carried on till the end of production. The link goes into the changes.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/problems-removing-front-forks-on-77-xs650.45253/

Some more links to get you started. These are for a new to you bike.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/guide-...checklist-for-the-condition-of-your-find.367/
http://www.xs650.com/threads/bike-wont-start-running-rough.390/
http://www.xs650.com/threads/troubleshooting.2736/

This should be read in conjunction with an electrical diagram. Unfortunately the diagram is in black and white but it has the wiring key and numbered parts list and
http://www.xs650.com/threads/what-happens-when-you-turn-your-key-on.9625/
78-xse-wiring-3.jpg

More electrical links
http://www.dansmc.com/electricaltesting.htm
http://www.xs650.com/threads/grounds-so-important.41775/
http://www.xs650.com/threads/wiring-harness-musings.18925/

A good charging system link.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/expanded-charging-system-guide-in-progress.10561/

This will get you on your way and a said in other posts, Tech Menu and search features are your friends.
Read look at your bike, read look at your bike and read and look at your bike some more, anything that doesn't look or feel right just ask a question.

Last edited:
completely apart except for the butterfly shafts because those things are a right swine to take apart and replace and the butterfly shaft seals are almost always OK.
Throttle shaft seals are NEVER OK unless they were recently replaced with genuine mikuni items, floats are usually cracked and will not consistently stop the fuel flow. yeah pic of inside the LH cam cover unless you are too lazy, like us.

Throttle shaft seals are NEVER OK unless they were recently replaced with genuine mikuni items, floats are usually cracked and will not consistently stop the fuel flow. yeah pic of inside the LH cam cover unless you are too lazy, like us.

Hi Gary,
perhaps I extrapolate too widely from my own experience?
My '84 Heritage Special is still running fine on the original factory-installed throttle shaft seals.
Certainly you and others may have experienced the shaft seal failures that my bike hasn't seen yet.
And while I graduated from lazy to bone idle years ago WTF has that to do with a pic inside the LH cam cover?
There's eff all inside mine anyway, eh?

Fred your seals are failed and rock hard, you just haven't noticed. BS34's are pretty tolerant of somewhat lean especially with Canadian needles.... The shot inside the LH cover request is for the OP, remember him? Hard telling what a "magnet based ignition" might be. Thinking about a sticky advance rod......

Last edited:
Fred your seals are failed and rock hard, you just haven't noticed. BS34's are pretty tolerant of somewhat lean especially with Canadian needles.... The shot inside the LH cover request is for the OP, remember him? Hard telling what a "magnet based ignition" might be. Thinking about a sticky advance rod......
Hi Gary,
I am in complete denial about my carb shaft seals' alleged rock hardness and failure.
I read the OP as saying "magnet based charging system" (AKA PMA?) so yes, the OP's bike may well still have it's stock points & mechanical advance mechanism. Sticking advance rod is a good "usual suspect."

Welcome to the forum Akustaka! My first XS650 was a '78, and I still kick myself for selling it.

Anyways, lots to learn, and pretty much the best forum to do that with...so you came to the right place. :) Generally speaking it's better to read first, post a question second, as almost 100% of everything you ask will have been asked before and likely responded to with some steps/ideas to follow toward a solution. (The search field in the upper right corner is going to be your best friend). Post pics when you can..

Good luck

So I got some new information, my local Mechanic ran a pressure test and got two readings of 35 and 70, he said while reading online the pressure should be 125 through 140. Any ideas on what I should do next?

So I got some new information, my local Mechanic ran a pressure test and got two readings of 35 and 70, he said while reading online the pressure should be 125 through 140. Any ideas on what I should do next?

Hi Akustaka,
do the test again because if the 35 psi & 70 psi are real numbers your motor has serious issues.
Motor to turn over 8 or 10 times with the carbs either removed or propped wide open, both plugs removed and with a teaspoon of engine oil poured into each plughole. 150 psi each side is great. Over 100 psi each side she'll still run. Below that you are SOL.
Causes, easiest fix first.
Valves not closing. Reset should fix that.
Everything else you need to pull the engine and take the head off.
Valves burned or buggered, just needs a head rebuild.
Piston problems mean you'll have to remove the barrels.
This don't mean that the bottom end is OK, just that the bottom end's condition won't affect the pressure test numbers.

If those compression numbers were real the motor wouldn't fire on either cylinder, and you've had it running. Get your bike out of there ASAP.

I hope your mechanic is not a friend because he is not helping you at all. ..............+1 on what grizld1says

Many of a newbie has learned how to do every thing, from changing the oil to complete rebuilds, just buy listening to versed members on here. Couldn't get some more experienced XS/TX650 people in the world than on here.

1st thing to do............Get a manual................Listen read, ...........listen look at the bike and read...........ask questions look at the bike and read the manual/links or posts...................I gave you links to online manuals for the interim, and listen to members, you will get to know who are the more knowledgeable, and do a lot of reading and ask questions based on the things that your are reading, and getting answers for that may seem confusing. If you are listening and working with the helpers, no question is unimportant, and no one will make you feel so, as long as they see your trying and helping yourself.

My previous post contains hours of reading and if you read through the 'maintenance" and "new to you bike/troubleshooting' links it gives you a place to start on the bike

Back