Electrical confused

Squiggly

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's low down I have a 71 650 running point stock stuff checks out to spec bought a. Regulator/rectifier from tc bros part #108-0008 have a brand new antigravity battery 12 volt 8 cell the battery check in at 13.5 volt done wiring for lights switch an key switch put new regulator / rectifier on don't thank it's charging call tc bro the said if it running above 13 volts it charging . When I got to shop to day battery tested 13.19 rode about 10 miles no headlight on just tail light got back it tested 13.06 I'm lost does it charge that little looked on electro sport .com they r the manufacture of it they say it should b 14.5 is that in a perfect world don't know just want to ride not walk thanks

Here's low down I have a 71 650 running point stock stuff checks out to spec bought a. Regulator/rectifier from tc bros part #108-0008 have a brand new antigravity battery 12 volt 8 cell the battery check in at 13.5 volt done wiring for lights switch an key switch put new regulator / rectifier on don't thank it's charging call tc bro the said if it running above 13 volts it charging . When I got to shop to day battery tested 13.19 rode about 10 miles no headlight on just tail light got back it tested 13.06 I'm lost does it charge that little looked on electro sport .com they r the manufacture of it they say it should b 14.5 is that in a perfect world don't know just want to ride not walk thanks

TC bros is telling lies. You need to charge at about 14.1 to 14.2 volts. Any less than that, and your battery will never be fully charged. If it goes up to 14.5 volts that is OK too, but may create a need to add water more often. Some lads get away with charging at 13.8 or 13.9 volts, but the battery is only partially charged.

Have you tested the rest of the charging components? Is it the right regulator for the brush block on the bike? There are two styles of brushes early and late. Early brush holders need to be modified (nylon screw mod) to work with most "new style" voltage regulators.

Ya everything checks out to spec I was told I had the right stuff trying nylon screws tonite but was told I didn't need to

Pictures and the tested numbers. We aren't magicians, we have to see or be told what you have to help. Lets see the brush holder. What wiring diagram did you use?

I don't see numbers for your rotor Ohms or the stator ohms test. That TC bros reg "should not" need the the nylon brush mod. Electrical troubleshooting requires that you test and verify each component is working correctly. That's why I pointed you to the charging guide, do the tests and the weak component or wiring problem will show up. Report back with test results?

Back