Electrical setup options?

venmus,

Plan of action:

You mentioned that you want to simplify the electrical system and maybe convert to a PM alternator system. I would suggest that you first get the engine running, even if you have to do this with just running the ignition off of the battery with no charging system. You can even ride the bike around the block like that and get the primary problems taken care of.

the complete TCI is the black box igniter, the pickup on the stator housing, the rotor with the triggering magnet and the coil, you probably won't want to part with the rotor and stator if the charging system is working, as far as that goes the TCI system is repairable and works quite well with a new hotter coil as it fires off the crank posistion instead of the chain driven cam, I was being kind of pulling your chain with my post, to many people knock the TCI without understanding it, if you do decide to go the pamco route and need a advance rod I'll donate one to the cause

Pamcopete - THANK YOU! I guess I was overthinking things. I think I will use the PAMCO setup inevitably, as the stock TCI is too multi-faceted for a straight forward build such as mine. I am not knocking it, heck I have never experienced the setup as it is, so I cannot offer any opinion whatsoever about it.

I will order the carb rebuild kits from MikesXS as soon as he has them back in stock, they'd actually be done yesterday if I had the parts :laugh: So as soon as I can get them sorted out I will go ahead and buy the PAMCO setup. I will use my stock rotor and stator and a battery for the time being (this is the charging getup, is it not?) but I will NOT use the little finned aluminum guy (reg/rec?) or the stock coil, or the stock blackbox. If all this sounds correct I think I may have just successfully wrapped my mind around another aspect of my build!

Thanks all for the help, it is appreciated greatly,
Logan

...SIGH...

You need a permanent magnet alternator...without it YOU CANNOT RUN WITHOUT A BATTERY WHAT SO EVER.

so unless you plan to do a bit of work....YOU NEED A BATTERY.

I too like simplicity so i did some research on running my 74 xs650 with no battery and came accross this part sold by lowbrow customs,is anybody familiar with this part? in your opinion is it worth trying? thank you

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/sparx-regulator-rectifier-battery-eliminator.aspx

p.s. my bike is a kicker no electric starter.

- as CDNTX650 says -no go- the brushes on the original alternator require voltage from a battery before the alternator can produce power-system is excited-no battery, no power-

- these wont work with the banshee or RD permanent magnet conversion either as they are 3 phase, this sparx unit is single phase

For the time being, I'd be fine with running a small battery to start with (pun intended). So I am understanding that I need kit 14-0902 PAMCO, clean carbs, a charged battery, and some luck. This I can handle. :thumbsup:

Logan

I wired my bike from scratch, I'm assuming you are going to as well. I'm sure there is a huge data base of "chopper" diagrams somewhere that you can cannibalize into your wiring. It' will also give you an idea of what you need to get the job done. To get a running motor you need fuel, compression and spark. Keep it stupid simple at this point in your build.

For the time being, I'd be fine with running a small battery to start with (pun intended). So I am understanding that I need kit 14-0902 PAMCO, clean carbs, a charged battery, and some luck. This I can handle. :thumbsup:

Logan

Venmus,

Yes, that's correct. You just want to get the engine running on the battery for now so you can better evaluate the other problems and solutions. You should be able to run around for an hour or more just on the battery, but don't press your luck. Keep the reg rectifier unplugged for this stage to reduce the draw on the battery.

Getting it going and making some minor adjustments to the carbs will put the ignition and carbs out of the way so you can then decide what to do next. For example, it would be very difficult to trouble shoot your charging system if the engine was not running.

I had a similar situation when I got my '81/H. The bike was in great shape but it would not start or run. I figured I had some other issues as well because the bike had sat for years, but the first thing I did was install a PAMCO, clean the carbs and charge the battery. Got it running, literally around the block a few times and then I was better able to trouble shoot and fix the other problems.

yes,after doing more research i found that the same companie(sparx) that makes the batterie delete kit that i mistakenly thought would work for the xs650 make a permanent magnet alternator for yamaha xs650 and they also make 1,2 and 3 phase regulator/rectifiers.i'm not familiar with the banshee or RD permanent magnet conversion(the sparx one is quite pricey)can some one give me more info. sorry if i'm asking stupid questios new at bikes,tks

74xs, I have a Sparx Permanent Magnet to convert my 78' but I will be running a battery. If I was to do it again, I would do Mr. Riggs conversion and run his Ignition system. You can run battery less with a capacitor. TC P.S. I built an engine test stand and I am running my engine on the stand to get all the bugs out before I install it. I tis ran on a small 5 amp battery, kick start only. Good luck TC

Yes, that's correct. You just want to get the engine running on the battery for now so you can better evaluate the other problems and solutions. You should be able to run around for an hour or more just on the battery, but don't press your luck. Keep the reg rectifier unplugged for this stage to reduce the draw on the battery.

Getting it going and making some minor adjustments to the carbs will put the ignition and carbs out of the way so you can then decide what to do next. For example, it would be very difficult to trouble shoot your charging system if the engine was not running.

I had a similar situation when I got my '81/H. The bike was in great shape but it would not start or run. I figured I had some other issues as well because the bike had sat for years, but the first thing I did was install a PAMCO, clean the carbs and charge the battery. Got it running, literally around the block a few times and then I was better able to trouble shoot and fix the other problems.

This is a great deal of help, and hopefully is as easy to execute as you make it sound...:shrug:

Back