Emissions ?

jmcgowan

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in Maricopa County (Phoenix, Arizona) all road going motor vehicles have to pass emissions. I took my XS (1980 XS650) there today, and it failed for excessive hydrocarbons (unburnt fuel). Anyone else have problems like this ? It's got the stock airbox, stock exhaust (I think) and no jet kit (that I know of). I'm thinking I could mess with jetting, and since it's rich anyway install pods at the same time ? Or I can simply buy collector vehicle insurance and be exempt from emissions, or purchase a PO box outside of Maricopa County and not have to get emissions tested... Advice ? What would you do ?

Anybody local want to help me out ? I'm not experienced with jetting carbs.

mikesxs had a heiden jet kit for the bike. You would think it would not matter because of the age of the bike. That kit allows you to move the jets up and down. It should fix it and run better.

Yeah that's bullshit! I'd send some pissed off emails to your legislators. The bike is 29 years old and still stock! :cussing:

Maybe I'm making too big of a deal about this but you shouldn't have to buy collector vehicle insurance or anything like that. There should be an age cutoff. How much would that insurance be? Is it through an insurance company or the state like a tax?

Alright, I've calmed down.. Maybe just put some free-flowing pods on there for the emissions test and see if it'll pass. Or take the air filters out of the airbox just for the test. That might not help though depending how they do the test :shrug:

jm, you didn't say where the co was. If that reading is lean, you could have what is called a "lean miss", which will cause very high hc reading's.You got a friend who work's as a car mechanic? If so, doe's his shop have a gas anylizer? You could try turning the mix screw's while watching the reading's,& see if you can get it to pass.
They must be serving icecream in hell, to be testing motorcycle's, & of the vintage your's is. Hell, we don't have that here, & I'm in one of the dirty state's.

Yeah, I can't believe I need to have a 29YO bike tested. I want to add pods and jet it, but that still won't guarantee it'll pass. I'm waiting on the quote for collectors insurance from my insurance company, if it's close to the same cost as regular insurance I'm just gonna go for it.

Ahh.. so it is through the insurance co. Hopefully it'll be much cheaper and their system won't be so screwed up after all. I was thinking it was either something through the state or something that was additional insurance from your insurance company just to satisfy the state.

Yeah I know, where I live there isn't any kind of vehicle emissions tests or inspections or personal property tax or anything of that stuff that's a pain in the ass. If you can make it run, you can drive it (or ride it).

jm, you didn't say where the co was. If that reading is lean, you could have what is called a "lean miss", which will cause very high hc reading's.You got a friend who work's as a car mechanic? If so, doe's his shop have a gas anylizer? You could try turning the mix screw's while watching the reading's,& see if you can get it to pass.
They must be serving icecream in hell, to be testing motorcycle's, & of the vintage your's is. Hell, we don't have that here, & I'm in one of the dirty state's.

The hydrocarbons were 2607ppm and you're only allowed 1852ppm. (755 parts per million over)
The carbon monoxide was 3.63% and you're allowed 5%.

I can't register it, I had a 3 day temp plate until I passed emissions. The plate is now expired, so I can't even ride it. They gave me some paperwork that says I might qualify for a waiver for $15 if "all appropriate repairs within the applicable repair cost limit ($450) have been properly completed" I'm gonna look into exactly WTF that means tomorrow.

I do not know any mechanics out here, so no go on the gas analyzer.

:banghead:

Shit I'd keep looking into the insurance thing. Let us know when you hear back from them. Is the whole state of AZ the same way or just certain counties?

It's not the whole state, just the counties in the Phoenix and Tucson metro areas.

I've heard of people buying a PO box outside of these areas and registering their vehicle that way with no need for emissions...but that would be illegal :wink2:

you just need to find a cool bike shop owner who thinks the law is as ridiculous as it is and just passes the bike.

I wish it were that easy, all emissions testing is done at state run testing centers. They even have big signs warning that it is illegal to offer a bribe to get your vehicle to pass !

I need a front fender, chain guard and front turn signals to pass, none of which my bike has.

Once emissions is done they really don't care, turn signals are not required (front or rear). Helmets are not required. I've never heard about fenders being required...it never rains anyway. I see cars daily with no hoods, no fenders, severe crash damage :eek:

I couldn't get away with any of that sh*t in NH

It's funny how some states’ inspections only care about emissions and others only care about safety. Some don’t care how much smoke it's blowing as long as it has turn signals, lights, mirrors, bumpers, a hood, no cracks in the windshield, etc…. you’re good to go.

my bike will not start or run with the choke on... so it must be rich right ? Someone commented that it could be a "lean miss" and I've been going nuts thinking about it. After Christmas I'm gonna change plugs, wires, and throw on pods and re-test it.

You said your bike is stock as far as carbs, air box, and exhaust so it sounds like pilots that are too big or mixture screws not adjusted properly. Or twenty other things... haha.. Did it run ok before and suddenly start acting like this? Are the carbs clean? How does it run with the choke off? Can you smell gas when it's idling? What ignition do you have and is it adjusted/working properly? Maybe you want to pull the carbs and see what you have for jetting in them.

Back