End of the world...

1974jh5

Curmudgeon.
Reaction score
...was supposed to be at 6:11 AM Eastern time. No joy. :( I guess this means I wore my Mad Max outfit for nothin'.

Oh, well, guess I'll have to create my own Mayan apocalypse: six Dorito tacos and a six pack of Tecate. :D

HIs is a interesting little tid-bit of information.

The Myan calender was made around 2000 BC (give or take)

In 45 BC Cezar created the leap year (not factored into the Myan calender)
There have been 511 leap days to date, that means that the world ended on Friday July 29, 2011

HIs is a interesting little tid-bit of information.

The Myan calender was made around 2000 BC (give or take)

In 45 BC Cezar created the leap year (not factored into the Myan calender)
There have been 511 leap days to date, that means that the world ended on Friday July 29, 2011

Who's Cezar and why would it matter to the Mayans what calender he used?

Here's a tid bit about the Mayan calender, which was based on their unaided (no telescopes) observation of the stars.

Modern science measures a year (the time it takes for the Earth to go around the sun) to be 365.24198 days.

The Mayans measured it as 365.242

Ancient Greeks did about as well on this measurment BTW.

Well, there were a lot of "Caesars" you know. The word started out as a family name (curiously it literally means "hairy" so the first one to rule Rome probably had a great head of hair) but it came to be used by all of the Roman Emperors of a certain period.

Of course it doesn't matter in this context (silly chit chat). The real point is that "leap year" was a correction to the Roman calender made neccessary by the fact that the duration of the orbit of the Earth around the sun does not fall exactly into periods of the time it takes the earth to make one revolution around its own axis. In other words a "year" cannot be measured exactly by full "days" - there is a little left over. So the months under the old calender had started to creep.

But the Mayans didn't use Roman calenders anyway. They measured their celestial events quite accurately.

Today marks the end of a cycle that had significance to them, but if they were so smart how come their descendants now speak Spainish?

People made alot of money exploiting the Doomsday event. I watch these Doomsday Preppers and they specifically focus on one type of disaster. So their not really prepared if a different type of disaster happens are they? I say keep a few guns plenty of ammo, white rice, fire starting options and a sharp knife for gutting and filleting. Cant change the inevitable.

Glitter and Gigi WORST EVER! Doon't get me wrong it is bad but not even in the worst ever conversation.

My only complaint is the movie "2012" , which I watched last night. It is quite possibly the worst film ever made.

The only good part was when it ended. Man, it was bad!

I have been through some serious survival schools and the flaws I see in "Doomsday Prepper's" is nuts.
The guy that shot his finger with a .22. Accidents happen. But then he passes out. So where's your leader now? On the ground.
The amount of non-medical training? Crazy.
The guy that gets his water from the rain gutters? Hello, I throw some poo (or any other bad substance) in there and you have zero water now.
And the guy that gets his food from the city water ways, or whatever they are. I don't think he will be alone. He will be attacked for his food and water.

The most important thing is they will not be alone, if they survive. They will be overrun by others and stripped of all their goods. A single person, couple or even an extended group cannot withstand an, even poorly, organized group of people. Even if they do barricade themselves they will, after a little while, get bored or nervous and poke their little heads out.

Last edited:
littlebill so true! Anyone in a rural area bordering a city that has any major street gangs will be overrun. I hope if its going to be that bad that my family and I get taken out initially from whatever natural or biological disaster that strikes.

littlebill so true! Anyone in a rural area bordering a city that has any major street gangs will be overrun. I hope if its going to be that bad that my family and I get taken out initially from whatever natural or biological disaster that strikes.

Nothing to worry about, the "undesirables" will be fodder to the gatlin-gunners in the attack helos and you and the family will have spots in the concentration camps. Tell them you voted for Bush and you can get a bunk near a window.

Nothing to worry about, the "undesirables" will be fodder to the gatlin-gunners in the attack helos and you and the family will have spots in the concentration camps. Tell them you voted for Bush and you can get a bunk near a window.

What? I dont get what your saying.

ok.

Well, in my zersion of the End Times crowd control will be via automatic weapons. The urban bad guys will get killed and the "good people" will be herded into relocation centers.

Nothing to worry about, the "undesirables" will be fodder to the gatlin-gunners in the attack helos and you and the family will have spots in the concentration camps.

Well, in my zersion of the End Times crowd control will be via automatic weapons. The urban bad guys will get killed and the "good people" will be herded into relocation centers.

sounds about the same to me

Back