Engine bog after 10-15 miles

20ftollie

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a fully stock '75 XS with only 3,000 original miles. It has a new battery, the carbs were recently cleaned throughly and original jets replaced with new (stock jet sizes). Timing was recently set as well.

She had been running really well until a couple weeks ago. It starts up perfectly fine (without choke) then after 10-15 miles of riding it will severely bog when you roll on the throttle from idle. I have to slam on the throttle until it gets up to about 3500-4000 rpm then it regains power. It's impossible to shift gears though because as soon as you let off the throttle, the engine will die. However, the bike will idle just fine, the issue only occurs when I try to accelerate.

The bike died the other day at a stop light and I couldn't get it started back up. I rolled over to the side of the road and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. I flipped on the choke and it started right back up. I was able to ride home a couple miles away.

I replaced both spark plugs as a precaution but it didn't correct the problem. Could my coil(s) be bad perhaps? They are original.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Classic, I'll give it a go. I did replace the rubber gasket inside the gas cap as the old one was toast.

Does anyone have an exploded illustration or photo of what the gas cap assembly looks like on a '75 XS650B? I think whoever had the bike before me jacked it up a bit. The tiny holes weren't lined up, which seems to have caused the vent to be closed up.

Back