Wanted - Engine for a 78 se model (447)

mrkil

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all my buddy had a very bad situation which lost all his engine oil. Now his motor has a bad k ock on the left side.

Wondering if anyone has a line on an engine that he could buy to do a swap and avoid a rebuild. He doesn't have the space or tools at this time (and neither do I) but I don't pulling his engine and putting in a good one.

Let me know.
Looking for the southern Ontario area. Preferably around Hamilton.

Hey all my buddy had a very bad situation which lost all his engine oil. Now his motor has a bad k ock on the left side.

Wondering if anyone has a line on an engine that he could buy to do a swap and avoid a rebuild. He doesn't have the space or tools at this time (and neither do I) but I don't pulling his engine and putting in a good one.

Let me know.
Looking for the southern Ontario area. Preferably around Hamilton.
Is this the one I offered some advice on things to check for on the facebook group page? He had a cooler line that previous owner installed come loose I believe?

So it is toast after all huh? Sorry to hear that.

Probably. The previous owner installed an oil pressure gauge on the front of the right cover off the oil pump. All the fitting where brass plumbing pieces and it snapped off on the highway. Bike ran great before that after we chased all the electrical gremlins.

Now it has a really bad knock on the left side. Most likely a big end bearing or a crank bearing. I can figure out what the issue is but space and tools is a big issue. I no longer have my work shop and tools after my divorce so I'm kind of limited.

Honestly it's like this bike is cursed lol. Everytime we track down one issue another pops up immediately. It's been very frustrating for both of us.

Probably. The previous owner installed an oil pressure gauge on the front of the right cover off the oil pump. All the fitting where brass plumbing pieces and it snapped off on the highway. Bike ran great before that after we chased all the electrical gremlins.

Now it has a really bad knock on the left side. Most likely a big end bearing or a crank bearing. I can figure out what the issue is but space and tools is a big issue. I no longer have my work shop and tools after my divorce so I'm kind of limited.

Honestly it's like this bike is cursed lol. Everytime we track down one issue another pops up immediately. It's been very frustrating for both of us.
Oh yeah, that was it...a gauge fitting. Yeah, we discussed it a bit on facebook. Its always a pain suffering through things that previous owners do to these bikes.

Hopefully he can find another engine pretty quickly, there's lots of them out there. 👍

Oh yeah, that was it...a gauge fitting. Yeah, we discussed it a bit on facebook. Its always a pain suffering through things that previous owners do to these bikes.

Hopefully he can find another engine pretty quickly, there's lots of them out there. 👍
I may have found one local but he wants an offer and hasn't stated a price.

Wish I was a little closer, I'm near Syracuse NY, have a complete 1978 I might be tempted into selling. I don't have a title for it but if only needing a motor that would not be a problem.

I might be able to get a title would just need to forge a bill of sale, do have the title in the last owners name but he died!

Wish I was a little closer, I'm near Syracuse NY, have a complete 1978 I might be tempted into selling. I don't have a title for it but if only needing a motor that would not be a problem.

I might be able to get a title would just need to forge a bill of sale, do have the title in the last owners name but he died!
I'll talk to my buddy and see if that's a possibility. Title isn't an issue as it's going into a title bike and the numbers don't need to match.

I bought that bike and confirm the nasty knock, but it will be my winter therapy. The seller was a nice guy, too bad it happened to him, I will start a new thread with pictures, pretty nice bike otherwise.

Back