Engine has a mind of her own

jdm9123

78 xs650SE
Reaction score
Hey guys. I put together my xs which had been sitting for a while and finally when I got her up and running she seems to be going a little haywire. First off she absolutely hates to be cold, as soon as I start her up with the choke on the revs up to about 4000RPM and I have to manually hold the choke halfway to get her to calm down. After she finally warms up a bit I can get her to idle around 1500RPM. Secondly, she surges and is unresponsive in the throttle. As i go thru the gears she acts so unpredictable. As i rev her she won't come back down to idle but hangs up higher in rpm. I put brand new exhaust gaskets in and she still leaks there terribly. I synched the carbs which improved the idle somewhat and then proceeded to adjust the air/fuel mixture screws as best as I knew how from just listening to the motor run. I still have the old air filters and original air box on the bike so maybe I am not getting enough air?? Either way she is not running correctly and I appear to be having some sort of air leak. Any help would be much appreciated.

Bike has a pamco high output ignition that I installed. It's timed perfectly.

How about the mechanical advance? Are the weights returning to rest as they should? I had a fatigued/worn ATU produce those symptoms.

Thanks pete, I will re-check the timing now and let you know how she reacts.

Back