Engine mods - 750cc, rephased, cams, carbs - new guy looking for help.

Gravo

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to start my first XS650 build. I know exactly what I want to do to the bike cosmetically though I don't have much experience with engines and engine modifications. I was hoping to get some advice on what are the better engine mods I could do.

I really want the bike I'm building to sound great! Loud and meaty! Some get up and boggie would be nice too.

The mods I keep coming across while researching are the 750cc big bore kit, 270/277 re-phasing, carbs, cam, exhaust, and all sorts of electrical things like the ignition.

If someone could shed some light on what are good mods, what's not necessary and if you're doing this mod you should also do that, that would be great.

Two things I don't know much about but think I'm going to have to do it replace the stock carbs and replace the stock ignition system.

I'm a real amateur looking for help from the experts.

i am replying to this post as well for the useful information on this I am new at this to driving 3 hours tomorrow to pick up my hard tailed frame

hi if you go too mikesxs site and look at the 750 kits ,,they are a great price and you get new casting /pistons everything ,,,regards oldbiker

I'm in the same boat.... right now I'm researching carb options for the 750 kit. Seems the Minkuni VM34s may be the ticket????? Seems the PWK kit is getting some bad press... or I've read so much I am in overload and confused. Hugh would be the man I'd look to for crank and cam work that I know. Pamco 277 ignition kit to control it all.

Regarding electrics, is it just the ignition kit you need to worry about? Is there anything else electrical that needs attention?
You'd think Mikesxs would be able to tell you what carb best suits their 750cc kit right? I don't know enough to figure it out for myself (though I'm trying to learn now) so I'm relying on others to tell me what's best.

I'm looking to 650central.com for Michaels help with carbs. Since he sells the 750 kits he would probably have the most real world experience with them. As soon as I get a chance to catch up with him, I'll pass it along here. Like everything it will need to be fine tuned, but I'm sure he'll get you off from the right spot.

http://www.yamahaxs650.com/ Go there for your ignition and coils.

Hugh's handbuilt for the re-phase and cam...http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.com/ He also sells a permanent magnet alternator set up too.

Always plan on spending a bit more than you want. I would get a manual for the yamaha too. Also check out mikesxs.net too. Read, read, read. I'm a newb too and am about half way through wiring my bike from scratch, changed and upgraded parts and the carbs. This forum is a wealth of knowledge...

I just realized your from Australia too...not sure what shipping will cost but you can check out Heiden tuning also...http://www.xs650.biz/

I would go with a 750 kit, then a rephase from Hughs as well as his permanent magnet alternator swap. Hugh likes Lectron carbs and could tell you exactly which one to run with your setup. 277 pamco setup and that is where I would stop. You could do a cam if you like and porting and exhaust, but those are the main points I would cover for the oomph you are looking for.

G,day Gravo, great to see yet another aussie bitten by the xs650 bug... It may not be too bad an idea to introduce yourself to the other aussies on site you come across while searching threads etc.. There are plenty of us on here now and more all the time!
Im on the Gold Coast so in the same state as you.. Your on the right track posting your questions and like others have said, Read Read Read!! Also check the classifieds threads on here regularly you never know just the part you have been lusting after could turn up at a great price! Anyway good luck with your build Gravo and if I can be of any help or just to say g,day give me a yell :)

hi I have 750-277 vm34s pamco & cleaned up ports mild street cam oil cooler & Mikes filter am up in cairns ring me if ya want also you may want to join Aus club alot of the members have been there down that & way more, parts & service etc

hi I have 750-277 vm34s pamco & cleaned up ports mild street cam oil cooler & Mikes filter am up in cairns ring me if ya want also you may want to join Aus club alot of the members have been there down that & way more, parts & service etc

Thanks irristeve,
I would actually be curious to call you. What you've done to your engine sounds exactly like what I have been thinking about doing. I'd love to know where to start and where you found all your spares in Australia. I'm already a member of the 650 club.

The 750 kit sounds like a great idea, and the rephasing seems to be the best way to make the engine really get up and go.

I am also located on the Gold Coast and I am building up a 81 xs650 which is stock except for a pamco kit at the moment. I nearly have it ready for the road, and once registered, I intend to hardtail it and make a chopper out of it.

Sounds like we are just about in need of organising a Gold Coast meetup. I also know a few of the guys off choppersaustralia are on the goldy and in Brisbane, and they love to catch up and have a bbq etc where possible.

Gravo, Welcome mate.
Both you and Shaunster should add yourselves to this thread of Aussies on the forum:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9171

Some of the guys in the Aussie XS club pioneered some of the rephasing so you may be able to get that cheaper here less freight.

Otherwise Hugh can deliver half the stuff as a one stop shop or Mikes.
I still say a few of us should get together and open Mikes XS AUS!

I think youre right shaunster, a GC meet up is a great idea. We should try to organise something???

Aussie, I just added myself to your thread. Great idea!
You read my mind regarding an XS store in Aus. AUSXS! We could probably get everything from the US on consignment and sell it on an online store??? I'm SO KEEN! Aussies could order parts and have them within 2 or 3 days.

Depending on the current condition of your engine, bear in mind that to do a 750cc kit you have to tear down the top end and to do a rephase you need to tear down the bottom end also. If you have a running motor now you might want to save that for the winter (or whatever you have in California). PMA, Pamco, carbs, exhaust can all be done with the engine in the frame and will certainly get you through the riding season.

From my budgeting the 750cc big bore kit is whatever you can buy it from mikes/650central and not too much more. The rephase is a bit more inconsistent depending on how much work you do yourself, with the 277 coming in cheaper than the 270. The big cost there is the cam, I think that megacycle carries them as well as another company that's slipping my name. This thread has a ton of info on that mod.

As long as I'm digging into my bookmarks anyway, here's a thread on the PMA mod and browse around Gordon Scott's site for exhaust. Even if you don't order from him his stuff is good inspiration.

That price is for an exchange, your stock cam for a stock cam re-phased to 277.

For $20 more I will re-phase your cam to any firing order you want.

Pretty soon I should have re-phased cams available with a performance grind.

Back