engine rebuild

jacksdad

lifelong fan
Reaction score
Finally getting on with my 'C' that came from Daytona Beach, many years ago, been stood for years, both in the USA and then here in rainy England!
Had no compression so I stripped the top end, found a seized exhaust valve. After beating the valve into submission, it came out: this revealed a cracked valve guide, cause by the expanding rust having nowhere to go (always turn over a standing engine every week!)
Found a NOS guide, for only £2....then smashed the top off fitting it, gutted! :eek:
Bought probably the last one anywhere, this time I paid £24....went to fit it, and noticed the head had also cracked.....double gutted! Not happy man.
Found a full head in Germany, cost me about £120 with shipping, which I'm going to strip, reseal the valves, new seals etc.
Now the good news!
Honed the barrels, bores, whatever you call them, and measrued up: not a trace of wear at all :D
The speedo says 36453 miles, I've found nothing to suggest the motors been apart before, so I'm back to happy!
The camchain is well within the wear limit as well, but as its in bits, I'm going to replace it, along with the 2 slipper bars, and fit new piston rings.
How much do you USA guys pay? I only use genuine parts, and/or DID chain.

Piston rings: £32 per set. Camchain: £30. slipper/chain guides. 1@ £59, 1@ £83
Non genuine full gasket set: £36 :eek:

I'm glad the engine parts are in perfect condition, otherwise the rebuild cost would be sky high! :yikes:

Back