Engine Rebuild

09classic650

Wardog
Reaction score
ok i think i may have bitten off more than i could chew on this product, is there somewhere i can get my motor rebuilt without being ripped off, the local shop just quoted me 1500 on a bike i paid half that for

- what is wrong with your motor?...what makes you think youre not up to the task?...these are relatively simple motors to work on and make for good learning curves

INXS is right, a good manual like the one's found here will aid even the challenged of mechanic's. Not a real hard thing to do, probably the hardest part is understanding what the manual is saying. And we are allway's here for help- advice.:shrug::bike:

No need, really. These bike's are from the age of simplicity. Of course, a good manual( allready said that) is the best source of info, & INXS has posted up the factory manual in the tech column.
Once you start, you'll be talking to yourself saying " Why was I such a nervous Nelly?"There are some area's,though, that can get a bit unnerving, like carbs & electrical. I have confidence in you, though. Seems like you will ask for help if & when needed. Show us the picture's as you go along,please. If you can, thanx,,,,Gordo:D

It's been said before - but i just finished replacing the head/bottom gaskets - and these are pretty much the simplest engines you'll ever work on. Aside from some doubt initially that i got the cam right (i did) that was about it.

One thing i can recommend is to pick up a box of freezer baggies. As you take things apart, keep the parts in the baggies, and label them where they came from, and with numbers from when. (ie: first bag will usually be "air box" and "1") Then when you're putting things back together, just go backwards.

Take pictures with a cheap digital camera. a *lot* of pictures. Pictures of how things looked before you took things apart, as you're taking it apart, how stuff was routed, what wire colours were plugged where, etc etc. Makes things a lot easier, especially if it's been a week since you took it apart.

Above all - DON'T PANIC. I started mine today as soon as i got it in the frame with the carbs on, and the wires hooked up, just to see if it would, or would require pulling it back out. Fired up fine. Then after getting the airboxes and exhaust back on, tried it again. Wouldn't start. Couldn't figure it out. Swapped plugs, checked for spark, had fuel... Turns out i had pulled the throttle cable a bit and the butterflies were open enough that it wouldn't start (for whatever reason, mine won't start cold unless the butterflies are totally closed - which is fine, really). Something that simple can sometimes cause you huge worries. just remember "DON'T PANIC" and you'll be fine. :D

:thumbsup: I agree!

Attachments

• hhgttg.jpg
    hhgttg.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 163
If there is nothing wrong with the motor that you know of, don't send it somewhere to get rebuilt if you don't need to.

Is this the same bike that you are going to hardtail for a friend and were trying to figure out the wiring stuff? If your engine runs fine, don't worry about rebuilding it, just clean it up a bit. If it doesn't run fine, it might just be the problem with the carburetors or electrical. Figure out one thing at a time and you'll be fine.

Back