Engine Swap - no spark

Chito

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I had some things go wrong with my motor and I plan to redo it this winter, but I had a extra motor around, so I thought I'd try to swap it in.

I changed over the rotor and stator, plugged it all in and gave it a shot.

No spark.

So I went through and search the diagnostic threads and went through many tests. (grounds, fuses, coil, rotor, and just basically went down the list)

Then I tested the ignition pick up and one side came up like 770 and nothing came up on the other... but then I unplugged the "regulator/rectifier (big plug!)" and tried, but still no spark.

So... could I have messed anything up when I swapped my rotor stator? There really weren't all that many things to unplug / replug.

Do you think my pick up really went bad?

The other weird thing... the gauges only indicate I'm in neutral when I pull in the clutch. Maybe a safety switch somewhere?

This is the pick up plug, right?

Attachments

• plug.PNG
    plug.PNG
    481.8 KB · Views: 71
Depending on the year, the TCI module is in a six or eight pin connector housing.....eight pin housing though there are only seven wires. The stator wiring is in a six pin housing and looks identical to the TCI housing if its a six pin. See where im going here?
That pic above is the connector for the pickup, orange and gray wires.
Check the color of the wires going into your multi pin connectors. Colors should match going in as coming out.
How would I know? I came across the similarities just last week.

Hmmm... I checked and it does appear mine are both 6 pin, but they look like they're right. It also looks like one has a little snap hook and the other doesn't. I also labeled the connectors when I originally wired the new harness. Some of the labels are kind of worn off, but they seem to match up. I think I've got it right.

You didn't mention the year of the bike and the engine. There are point ignition systems and electronic ignition systems. For now go with what the origional motor had. Hope that helps?

According to your test results the pick is bad. The gray and orange should both have 700 ohms resistance.

Back