Engine Takes forever to Start

mshick68

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
OK newbie question. Please help. I just bought a 1982 xs650. Started and ran great. I was making a bobber and had just pulled off the air boxes. In the meantime a buddy came over and wanted to hear it run. I tried to start in without the air boxes and vent hoses hooked up and it did not start right up. Tried for about 10 minutues and it finally started after backfiring twice big time. Why would this be? Does the boxes and vent hoses not hooked up effect fuel getting to the carbs or something? Please help Thanks!

didn't pull the vacuum hoses off the carbs did you...??? if you have then it wont want to go either.

+1 on hotdog's suggestion. With the barbs open it will run like crap if at all. Im not so sure simply removing the air filters and breather would make such a massive difference (although yes it will lean it out). There are quite a few times various tests etc call for running without the filters - mine can start no worries. More history maybe needed. How long did you have the bike? Literally ride it home or have you had it a while and its been all good... What about the choke?

Hotdog, I'm not sure where the carb vacume tubes go but I do have one small tube that fell off. I'm pretty sure one end just hung below the engine but not sure where the other end goes. Please help. Tks

Part #28(1st pic) fits on the barb(2nd pic) on the left intake(part#1) manifold.
Be sure you have a good blind plug(part#4) on the right side.

Attachments

• vacuum hose.png
    vacuum hose.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 73
  • intake barbs.png
    intake barbs.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 82
Weekendrider, thanks for the info. I just checked mine and it matches your diagram. All looks good. What do you think the long skinny tube is that fell off. I know it was just hanging below the motor like a puke tube but I dont know where the other end goes.

Weekendrider, thanks for the info. I just checked mine and it matches your diagram. All looks good. What do you think the long skinny tube is that fell off. I know it was just hanging below the motor like a puke tube but I dont know where the other end goes.

Battery vent hose?

Back