Enough is enough

missile150

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 1980 xs650 and had to replace the cam chain tensioner and guide. That required me to break the cam chain. I ordered a master link from MikesXS, part number 01-8815, and it didn't fit. They sent me another one, the same one, and it did not fit. They said they did not carry the one anymore for the 1980, only the earlier models and a different part number, and refunded my money. Then I ordered one through my local dealer, checked the numbers twice with what their computer said it should be before I paid, and guess what? It did not fit again. I am getting frustrated because I want to get my stuff back together.

Now what? I measured the ones I bought with a caliper. They are .117 wide. The cam chain insert, from what I measured, is .100 and is obviously smaller than the replacement master links that I keep getting sent to me.

The Yamaha part number I was given is 94662-19001. Mikexs says it should be OEM number 94500-02106-00. What gives? Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
did you replace the cam chain....cause if you didnt it clearly says on the site it wont fit stock cam chains...but im sure you read that....:)

Posted via Mobile

you dont need to break the cam chain just back the tenioner off & remove the cam bearings & then you can get the cam out,bit late now I guese,new cam chain will fix ya problems good luck

you dont need to break the cam chain just back the tenioner off & remove the cam bearings & then you can get the cam out,bit late now I guese,new cam chain will fix ya problems good luck

I had to remove the inside part of the tensioner as well as the guide. The chain runs through that part. I wish I did not have to do it. I know a chain will fix things, but right now I have more time than money, and if this other link and part number I have will work, I am just out a couple of weeks. But I am pretty thick headed sometimes. I will probably just end up buying a new chain. The fat lady has started to warm up....:shrug:

I just put the part numbers you gave into Google. 94500-02106-00 is the chain itself. 94662-19001 is for the chain joint. Both parts can be found on boats.net.

If you look at the parts fiche, though http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1979/XS650SF/CAMSHAFT-CHAIN%20TENSIONER/parts.html it looks like there are two different chain joints. 94600-02001-00 and 94662-19001-00. No idea what the difference is. Both are under $4, though. May be worth a shot to order both and see if either work.

What probably has happened is Yamaha is selling a different chain and link than what was installed 32 years ago, but under the same part number.

What probably has happened is Yamaha is selling a different chain and link than what was installed 32 years ago, but under the same part number.

I just put the part numbers you gave into Google. 94500-02106-00 is the chain itself. 94662-19001 is for the chain joint. Both parts can be found on boats.net.

If you look at the parts fiche, though http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1979/XS650SF/CAMSHAFT-CHAIN%20TENSIONER/parts.html it looks like there are two different chain joints. 94600-02001-00 and 94662-19001-00. No idea what the difference is. Both are under $4, though. May be worth a shot to order both and see if either work.

I called the Yamaha dealer and they, too, came up with another part number for the same year. So they are getting that other one for me. Hopefully it will fit, or else I am going to have to get an entirely new chain. They did not know what the difference was either. They said the parts did not have any measurements on them. Oh well, one more shot!:shrug:

OK, listen up. DID and Tsubaki both offered cam chains for the late (74 and after) XS650 engines. The only significant difference is in the pin diameter. Check the stampings on the links and find out what you have; masters for both are easily available. Or follow the suggestions above and replace the cam chain; it's a good idea anyway.

The other one I ordered came in last week. But of course, I was sent out of town for work. I will pick it up this week and see if it fits.

It did not fit either, so screw it. I just ordered a new chain and link. Problem solved! It will be here this weekend.

Back