Essesntial tools for rebuilding motor

PawelB

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a quick qs, this is going to be my first time rebuilding a motor, and I'm a newbie so i just wanted to know the essential tools I need when rebuilding my motor?
Any help would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

A good set of box and open end metric wrenches. 1/4" and 1/2" socket sets. JIS(Japaness industrial standard) screwdriver set. Ring compressor 75mm. Small and medium ballpeen hammer. Needle nose pliers. Gasket scaper. One sides razor blades. A good set of feeler gages. This will get you started. You will not need a 13mm wrench or socket.

Puller for the rotor, valve spring compressor, rubber mallet, a TON of ziplock bags and sharpie, shop towels, little oil gun for oiling up the pieces when you start assembly, 1 or 2 shop manuals, circlip pliers, chain tool for timing chain, impact hammer, tap & die set to get the bolts cleaned up, consider an engine stand, torque wrench (not from HF)

Thanks a lot guys, that helps a ton! :bike: Now I know what I should be shopping for! How about a clutch holder tool, is that necessary?

I think it is. Broke a clutch basket trying to hold it while loosening it. Had a friend weld a old screwdriver to a dead metal plate and it really super really makes getting the clutch off and on so much less dramatic. Don't know how sturdy the $9 one from Mikes is but I assume that'd be just as good. I'd save the $$ and not get the piston ring compressor and do the Popsicle method described in this forum which worked like a champ for me. You'll also want a big socket for the clutch and front sprocket.

Hmmmm, clutch holder tool? No I don't have one of those. Then again, if I didn't have an impact gun, it might be a different story. Gotta love the trusty Ebay 3/8 Snap-on gun. Best $80 I ever spent!

Hmmmm, clutch holder tool? No I don't have one of those. Then again, if I didn't have an impact gun, it might be a different story. Gotta love the trusty Ebay 3/8 Snap-on gun. Best $80 I ever spent!

I meant one of those manual impact drivers that you hold and smash with your hammer to get out stuck screws (like the tappet arm outside covers)

Thanks everyone, I just spent a ton of money on tools yesterday, hope they all come in handy in some form.

My essential tools for the shop are
3/8 air gun
Metric and sae combination wrenches
1/4 3/8 1/2 inch drive ratchets with shallow and deep sockets
Allen tee handles
A good torgue wrench (90% of my stuff is snap on or Mac, but craftsmen or master craft works just as well)
Test light and multi meter

For the first 2-3 years of my apprenticeship and just general working, I had a 6 drawer cheap tool box with those basic tools in it, and I over hauled alot of bikes and snowmobiles.
Now, over the course of the past 12 years I have grown to accumulate alot more tools, alot of special tools that only have one job,

The list I gave you can have a motor stripped down and rebuilt (other then a rotor puller)

Thanks a lot guys, that helps a ton! :bike: Now I know what I should be shopping for! How about a clutch holder tool, is that necessary?

You can hold the clutch by stuffing a rag between the chain and the rear sprocket. Might be enough resistance from just having the bike in gear; not sure. HF sells a great 1/2" impact gun for around $50. That nut is hard to get off without one and especially with one you don't need the holder tool, so...

Somebody mentioned a hand impact. A most useful tool but don't use it where the backing thing can't take the force of a hammer. After using several of these in different capacities, the best I've seen for bikes is the 1/4" drive one HF sells. Reduced spring tension so you don't have to hit it hard. Not as sloppy huge (and stiff) as a typical 1/2" one.

I didn't see it mentioned but some type of liquid gasket sealer (I think Yamabond is common) and could probably use some Locktite (Blue)....oh yea and beer.

PB blaster, lots of parts containers, quart oil bottles with a side cut out, peanut butter jars with lids, a gallon of paint thinner and a Hudson squirt bottle. old tooth brushes. A digital camera and take LOTS of pictures on the way apart. A set of offset box end wrenches are nice. +1 on the digital caliper. A clean place to work. Good lighting, (well for us old guys anyways)

I meant one of those manual impact drivers that you hold and smash with your hammer to get out stuck screws (like the tappet arm outside covers)

My vintage motocross buddy swears by those and tells me I really need to get one. Honestly, I haven't run across a bolt or screw yet that didn't succumb to my 3/8 gun. I use it on carbs! My technique for breaking free badly stuck screws is to apply pressure on the back of the gun with my off hand and barely feather the trigger. Works great for me, YMMV.

Back