Etching covers?

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of going a little nuts and etching some designs into my engine covers. Small stuff, not that crazy. I've never done it before. Zero clue how people do it. Is it a chemical process? Is there a dremmel type tool involved? Anyone have any experience w/ this? Thanks! And happy 2013!!

Dave

I have a little experience with etching.
One possibility would be an etching creme:
http://www.armourproducts.com/ecom-catshow/Armour_Etch.html
These are intended for etching glass. As I recall, the active ingredient is hydroflouric acid, which I am pretty sure will etch aluminum or most any other metal. You make a reverse design with a masking agent before applying the creme.
A much better way is with blasting media. Again, you mask the negative areas of your design with an adhesive stencil or brushed-on latex, or some such.
Then there is power equipment. But I think this is more appropriate for high relief designs, meaning very 3-dimensional designs. I once saw an aluminum head on a Harley, maybe it was a Sportster, that had all of these very three-dimensional skulls carved into it. That was probably done with a Dremel using diamond or silicon carbide grinding bits, or with a pneumatic router, very similar to how you would port a head. Then it was polished to a mirror shine using typical aluminum polishing procedures.
Now that I think about it, there are probably other ways of engraving. I once saw an ironhead Sportster that had all sorts of fancy lace filigree engraved all over it. Maybe that was done the same way that fancy firearms are engraved?

Back