Etiquette question

Pat D

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I corresponded with someone who posted an assortment of parts in the classifieds, we had a nice exchange, arrived at an agreeable price, and I sent the $$ off via Paypal. The payment went through, and my credit card reflects the payment, but 2 weeks have gone by with no parts arriving. Sent another pmail, just to see if a tracking # had been generated, no response. What is an appropriate time frame to wait with no responses to pmails and no shipment arriving before taking more drastic action? I mean, if the guy got hit by a truck on the way to ship the parts I'd feel like a real dick throwing him under the bus, but in the absence of any other communication, I'm not sure what is going on. The most irritating thing is I needed those parts for the next segment of build, the $$$ can be replaced. Thoughts?

It's all about communication and, oh yes, contract.

A polite reminder first, then a firm, 'come on I need the stuff'. If no joy contact PayPal and they will resolve the situation (they are party to the contract).

Anlaf

At this point let paypal get your money back, and blast his name. Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

When I sell something, I make every effort to ahip within 2 business days, 3-4 if I have a shit load of stuff going on...

These days, if you cant get ahold of someone within 48hrs, they're blowing you off.

I'll bet You had no problem getting in touch with the seller before You bought the items.
I say You have been ripped off.
So KILL KILL KILL!

If somebody is selling stuff through classifieds it is up to them to make sure the contract is fulfilled - in other words check that the goods arrived. This guy didn't follow-up, but worse, he won't answer your emails. Yes, go in hard! Rattle some cages at PayPal.

Anlaf

I've made contact with the seller, so things are working out-if the parts aren't here today he will be looking into shipping status on his end. So we'll see, I'm keeping a positive attitude, sometimes shit happens.

How did he ship them - UPS, FedEx, USPS? As long as it wasn't USPS Parcel post, it will have a tracking number of some kind. Did he provide one? If not, he may have it and can track it easily. Usually hearing "it should be there today" means they didn't get around to shipping it until you bugged them about it and it could be a handful more days.

Good luck,

Reminds of a saying "How do you make a contractor disappear before the work is done? Pay him."

Back