Ever use circuit breakers?

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
C922059C-F648-4764-88CB-51A506A6E095.jpeg Flipping this bike for a little cash. It has a 15amp and 2 20 amp breakers. The guy i got it from (rip) baught it this way. It has no electrical issues, i never had to wait for one to reset. The amp rating is high, as they should be 10’s and one 20, but if it ain’t broke dont fix it?

Automatic / self resetting........
tim

Bingo.
Side note... tried to make it to the gs station. Front brake locking up. Made it home. But my disc is brown. Did i fry it?

I did a conversion of that type on an XS400 a few years back when the fuse box clips were falling apart. Used a little bit different style breaker where they have threaded studs to connect the wires and used some fiberglass scraps from a broken step ladder to mount them.
breakers.JPG

The breakers are on the underside of the yellow fiberglass bracket. And yes these are auto resting breakers. They will reset after a short time and if the overload condition they will kick back out again working something like a signal flasher. I suppose they will only hold up to that abuse for a while but if the overload is only there for a short time they work great. The ones I used were a very common type that Mack Truck among others used for years. Not sure why I forgot, they are also used on my two Sportsters!

This is what they look like under there:
breaker02.png

Many different types are available:
http://www.littelfuse.com/products/...cuit-breakers/box-style-circuit-breakers.aspx

Attachments

• breakers.JPG
    breakers.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 74
  • upload_2018-5-13_11-13-1.png
    upload_2018-5-13_11-13-1.png
    309.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
How does self-resetting work? Does it wait till the fault is cleared and then reset? How would it handle a short? Just stay disconnected till the short is gone?
They work on the same principle as your turn flasher. It's a bi-metal strip that opens the circuit when it gets too hot. When it cools, it closes again.

Back