Evolution of the Earth Lodge

nj1639

Paleo-simplistic
Top Contributor
Reaction score
It started out as a 30' diameter, 3/4 scale Mandan style earth lodge.
IMG_0440.JPG

Providence and varmints decided otherwise.
I had used black plastic sheeting to cover the framework prior to the dirt and hay finish. Adding grass seed watered by the rain and nourished by the decomposition of the hay I was getting a live, green cover. However, the squirrels and the other fauna considered it an extension of the forest floor. Even with covering the smoke hole with an umbrella It was getting wet inside after a good rain. Upon examination I saw where they were digging through the roof and then the plastic cover. Imagine their surprise when they broke through to the other side of the world. I did find an acorn.

Deconstruction of the cover began after I was gifted by a farmer friend with some clear plastic sheeting akin to what is used on greenhouses. Now I have the equivalent of a sun sink. Tomatoes in December? Could happen. It's still a place of quiet contemplation, I look forward to enjoying a light show the next electrical storm go-round.

IMG_0053.JPG

Awesome building. I've been watching the "Bush Craft" stuff on Youtube and really enjoy watching the builds and winter camping. Something very youthful about going out into the woods and building a "fort".

Scott

Dogs chasing squirrels was an important part of the cave man ecosystem.

We've tipi camped for week long events and did live in one for close to a month. There's a magical occurrence in the evenings when the fire is flickering and casting strobe shadows from the accoutrements that are hanging around the perimeter of the inside cover, and as the fire dies down there's a strobe contrast between the inside bright and dark and the outside bright and dark looking out the smoke hole......kind of hard to explain, looking forward to see if it occurs here and if I can video capture it.

Back