Expert advise!!

What would cause a weak spark? Would it cause the Rpms to jump around, to stall if I touch the throttle or push the choke in, if so WHY!!!!

Wow, anybody wanna buy a motorcycle just kidding. I guess what frustrates me is, the bike looked all redone, I thought it would be an easy fix, but life's not that way! Thanks for all the info, time to get busy, I will be in touch.

I have had TCI boxes start to go bad and when they do the spark throw is easy to see plus riding the bike the performance is not there. Bike breaks up at different RPMs and stalls when you come to a stop.
Now like Gary told you if the CARBS were not done proper you will still have a problem. You have two jets and one works at low RPMS and one works a Higher RPMS. If you start the bike and it idles fine and you go to twist the throttle and bike shuts off or bogs you got to look again at CARBS and also CARB boots. If you have cracked or bad boot then you could be leaking threw them. EASY TEST go get some brake clean from your local parts store . Fire the bike up and while bike is running spray the brake clean on the boots . If idle goes up you got a leak. You are dealing with 30 year old parts same as your body when you were 30 yrs younger you felt better LOL
You are going to have to do one test at a time to find problem.
NO EXPERT on here can point out any one thing because bike is not in front of them so you are getting good advise to go into the right direction but you got to learn and put the time in too.

Sounds to me like dirty carbs still. Like plugged pilot passages. I would have done a lot more digging before I spent money on a t.c.i box.

+1 :)
I did waste half an hour typing out a suggested carb troubleshoot but it wasn't acknowledged so I assumed the p.o thouight my advice was irrelevant and ignored it. He seemed determined to persue the TCi so I guess we'll see :wink2:.

I agree with Gary, trouble shooting is very important process of elimination, cleaning carbs are one of the most important process of elimination, pilot jets, main jets, float adjustment, choke circuits, making sure the diaphragms are good etc... checking for good and constant spark, check all your wiring for shorts, ground wires, in my case i did all the process to find the problem, check compression, rotor, brushes, and when all of the above wasn't it, I remember some time ago that 5twins said if you go through all this process and it does not correct it, look to the electric part of the bike, i bought a TCI ignition box and finally problem solved.

I would try the TCI you bought, you can always send it back. I worked on mine for months trying to track this problem down, just want to share my results to help.

That's what I think, for 50 bucks, and returnable, we will see. Easier then removing and messing with the carbs AGAIN.

What thread bud? Didn't see it?

it was a long post #6 ...took me near half an hour to type ..I removed it all later when you ignored it and didn't acknowledge it .:shrug: I thought you thought it irrelevant .
No bother, you have lots of helpful posts from others now.:thumbsup:

Hey everyone, I did a little digging and got a little information, I did a compression test, I got 135 PSI on the left with a medium, in my opinion orange spark. the right had 130 PSI, with a medium orange spark, its hard for me to determine a strong or weak spark so I gave it my best guess.
When I start the bike, choke all the way out the idle jumps to 2500, then drops immediately to 1600, and slightly fluctuates. If i give it gas or push in the choke it stalls. When I pulled the plugs they were a dark sooty black, not wet a shiny dark black, also it sputters out the carbs a little when idling. I did read some of the carb. guide (lotsa reading), but I thought I would fill you in on whats happening. Any info would be great.

That's how my plugs were, dark sooty black, couldn't even smell gas on spark plugs, I even replaced spark plugs, no difference, just got bike inspected, runs great now with another TCI ignition box.

Got the new to box, installed it, runs the same, question is, is this box bad too, or are both boxes good, how do you know? i Think I need to tear the carbs back down and do a soak job.

Sorry your having so much trouble, the only difference is mine had a low idle and choke had to out all the way to run, use throttle it died, when cleaning your carb did you take the brass cap out and adjust the air mixture screws?

Have to check you coil cable wires and caps, maybe you have a crack in one of the cap, have you tried unplugging the rectifier as its running to see if it make a difference?

Hi dude,
in all this string nobody's said anything about the coil.
Try a newer hotter one.
See if that'll give the desired fat blue spark.

Back