Extending drum brake rod and angle of the dangle

rwingsfan

Xs 650 Dummy
Reaction score
Did a search and came up with a thread about this, but nothing real definitive. My brake rod needs to be around 3 inches longer than it is right now. What is the best way to extend it? Cut and weld? Also I have read that the ideal angle for the drum brake lever is 90 degrees to the rod at full brake, is this correct? So in effect the lever might be behind or perpendicular depending on the height or placement of the pivot in front of it? Jeez...that was a mouthful. :yikes:

I usually just cut the old brake actuating rod off of the "U' shaped bracket where the pedal attaches to it. Get a piece of 3/16" Round stock, thread the end using a die, and weld it to the old "U" bracket. All new rod, looks stock. Last one I made, I think I even went to a standard thread and just used different hardware...

I like to keep the drum lever at 90 Degrees as well

Punkskalar that the way to go!! I actually used a piece of stainless all thread on mine and cut it to length. my brake pivot assembly is off a stock 80' special so it was threaded already, i just simply put a locking nut on the brake pivot side and double lock nut off the back of the drum arm side after i adjusted the brake. confusing!!!!! sorry!!! lol. The best thing about it is that its stainless!!!!

Back