Fair Price for Plating?

Belle

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm new ta chrome plating anything, normally I like dull colors, but I've a pretty nice springer here & I'm thinking of havin' it plated, maybe nickle or chrome, probably nickle but haven't fully decided. Because I figure each of 'em are 'bout the same cost, regardless, & I know not all platers do the same good job as another does...I'm curious, in the next few days I go looking for a plater what am I looking for in them & what kind of cost should I see as fairly reasonable? I've stripped the old chrome plating off of an approx 6" over narrow springer.

See thread--'Is this Springer Straight' for pix before stripped if ya need ta.

ask them for referels from past customers to see if their chrome holds up to heat and rock hits, or if it peels. if you constanly get past customers poo-pooing the shop, forget it.

I like the way nickel plating looks. It has a yellowish tint compared to chrome.

I can tell you that Brown's is top notch, but way too spendy for the average XS650.com user. My dad used them back in the 70's on his panhead, then a few months ago on a softail build.

Back