Fairings and windshields

DirtyErnie

Renaissance Hick
Reaction score
Howdy!
Starting to get to that point of the build-up where I need to think about some kind of windscreen. What I'm going to be doing with the bike is a lot of highway time (freeway commute, light touring, etc. 32t rear & overdrive 5th). If practical, I'd like to go with something that fits the 'vibe' of the 650... leaning towards the typical Cafe-style 1/4 fairing or the 'Thruxton' style flyscreen. Leaning a lot more towards the Thruxton style to be honest.
How are these for keeping the wind off you on the highway? Any other favorites or observations to share?
I'm 6'2" if that makes a diference in your advice.

Thanks!!
E

Definitely NOT interested in the plain old clear windshield. I know they work real well and I don't care.

I have a Thruxton and about all the stock flyscreen does is keep the fronts of the gauges free of bugs. I went with a Givi A200 screen and just got back from an 800 mile trip to the Springfield Mile and to be honest, I think the A200 is going on my R90 to be replaced by an A240.

DirtyErnie,

Well, if you want the windshield to be effective, then it probably will not have the look you are looking for. The windshield needs to be just slightly below your eye level to do any good and at 6'2" that's going to be a tall windshield. Not cool.

I don't care about cool any more. I like comfort on a long ride, so I have one of the windshields that you won't buy, a National Cycle Street Shield EX. :bike:

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/StreetShield.shtml

The windshield comes off easily with four attach screws with handles that can be removed without any tools, so you can ride to the beach in comfort and then take off the windshield when you go cruising down the boulevard looking for trouble...:D

mybike3.jpg

Check out that old mans back rest and the poor mans highway pegs and those retro pull back handle bars!! Definitely not cool.....but very comfy on long rides.:thumbsup:

I had a Spitfire windshield on my 80 Special for a while. Worked pretty good, I bought it off of eBay for like $30. It was made to clamp onto 1" bars, so I made some shims from some scrap pipe. Once I had it adjusted right, it worked pretty good. It's on my GF's CB650 right now.
SmilingAccidentBoy.jpg

BTW, that pic was right after I went down a year ago. A farmer lost a load of straw right in front of me going down a country road at about 50 mph. The farmer was pretty sorry about what happened, I told him "at least you weren't hauling scrap metal". Bike fared pretty well, forks tweeked a little, tank dented, side cover broke off, and some road rash on both me and the bike.

Any small windshield I ever tried directed the wind blast right into my face. It was more comfortable without it. Best quarter fairing I've tried is the BMW R90S one. Wind tunnel designed, it punches a perfect hole through the wind and doesn't buffet your head at all. I have one on my R75/6 and just love it .....

nZLeBPp.jpg

Last edited:
DirtyErnie;

I have the type that you won't buy. Now that I'm older, its all about comfort and function.

I just bought the same one Pamcopete uses, the National Cycle Street EX. Perfect for all day riding.

Hey Pete, where did you get that rack?

I can't take credit for finding it. It just came with the bike when I bought it. It was a dealer add-on back in the day. Very hard to find now. The backrest moves all the way back when you are carrying a passenger. The women just love it :D and you can still carry a case of beer on the rack!:thumbsup:

The rack is a perfect wine bottle rack as well, but unfortunately, you have to buy the large bottles because the small ones fall through the spaces....:shrug:

I was wondering about the R90 style, those are hawt.
Pete and R.G.: that's about the least offensive of the big-style windshields I've seen. Grepper's is alright, too. I'll keep those in mind, for sure.

I think what really turns me off is the gawd-awful wide windshields that go way out over the bars. like these:
http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/Classic.shtml

I'll probably leave it bare for a while...once I get it reassembled. :)

Thanks Guys!!

E.

Anyone know if this windshield from amazon would be any good for my xs650 or even fit on it for this fall? I'm looking for suggestions for a windshield that in not too expensive but will keep most of the wind off me. I'm about 5'10" if that helps.

Back