Falcon Heavy Launch Live Feed

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
5 million pounds of thrust. Holy crap!
Musk sez there's a 50/50 chance it will go BOOM....

You beat me to it.
I was just creating a thread.
Very excited, here. Rockets: always have been since I was a kid.
Musk's red sportscar, and a David Bowie song, are onboard, making it even more interesting.

Here's an animation:

Once upon a time there was a nun who wrote a letter to a space program manager admonishing him for spending so much on space when there were staving innocents on Earth. His reply to her was interesting. It reads a little bit like the kind of thing that goes around that's fake, but it isn't.
http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/08/why-explore-space.html

Wow.... that's all I got...... unbelievable!!!

woo hoo! I'd seen the animation (the 2nd video here) before. It can give you a better idea of what you saw live (better vantage points).

Something that moved me was the warehouse of cheering engineer kids, sounding just like they were at a ball game. I imagined they were Apollo engineers, where the average age was under 30 after all. You know Apollo was just like that, though publicly it was reserved and respectable in keeping with the times and that image is still the one we have.

Last edited:
Amazing.
The Space-X coverage was superb.
Like Queeenslegs, I thought the simultaneous landing of the boosters was just fantastic !

Pic of the landing of the main rocket on the drone ship:
Click on the picture to enlarge.

maxresdefault.jpg

If 4 landing legs is better than 3, then 5 is better than 4. In fact they lost a booster on one flight simply because one leg didn't lock. Elon's my bitch.

Instead of loading up David Bowie's Space Man or whatever, wouldn't the lead sound track of "Heavy Metal" been a better choice? OKOKOK it's a Tesla Roadster and not a Corvette but com'on ....I forget who sings it and my copy is in the shop..

Yes very cool stuff, the main booster didn't have enough fuel left for the landing and had a "hard" stop when some engines couldn't fire. A simply amazing "private party" endeavour. Good deal on a used high miles Tesla, local pick up only.
Thought this was a pretty good "civilian" look at Space X plans
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/7/16983040/spacex-falcon-heavy-rocket-launch-schedule-spaceflight
Hard to fathom the guts of Musk to attempt the "impossible" on so many fronts at once.
Alex Post
"If NASA budgets dry up there’s always China or Europe. Ultimately it doesn’t matter where the money comes from, as long as we reach Mars."

Last edited:
Hard to fathom the guts of Musk to attempt the "impossible" on so many fronts at once.
One secret seems to be he's not flabbergasted by failure. He just takes it in stride, fixes it, and plods on. Unlimited resources help him maintain that attitude no doubt.

I am kind of pissed that they're a half-decade behind schedule, really. The FH was originally supposed to launch in 2013 and take tourists around the Moon and back late THIS year.

I've been looking at live feeds on YouTube of that sports car with the astronaut dummy behind the wheel flying through space. It cracks me up thinking that some distant alien life form might someday see this and think WTH? :umm:

Back