False air and valves?

dwaynemcfarlane

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So im still searching for my false air problem. My valves. Ive never adjusted them, actually never checked on em. And yes. It will be this weekends major project. But anyways, could the valves be my false air problem?
Carbs are freshly cleaned. My pilots etc should be just fine. Carbs seems tight. Been all around.
Thoughts?
And anything i should know concerning the valves? :)

77 xs650D custom :)

dwayne :)

"False air"= vacuum leaks I presume. That won't have anything to do with the valves. Rather intake rubbers, intake gaskets and carbs.
But for any general tune-up of any engine, setting correct valve clearances and checking/ adjusting cam chain (or belt) tension is always the first step. Then checking ignition system and timing. Carb adjustments are always the last thing.
However, if you have unknown issues, a compression check after valve adjustments are done, may be a good idea.

I think he may be referring to the butterfly valve seals???

in which case, yes, check them. Along with everything else about your carb set up and mounting.

if your talking about your actual valves - check em, but that’s not connected to a vac leak if that’s what your thinking.

For you non-scandinavians: "falsk luft" is a commonly used term for vacuum leaks on engines. (Falsk= false or fake, Luft= air, in Scandinavian languages, and German as well)
Well guess I can go back to bed as I've managed to hit my goal of learning something new each day and it isn't even 6:30 AM!

Well guess I can go back to bed as I've managed to hit my goal of learning something new each day and it isn't even 6:30 AM!

Yes Sir The more common Expression in Sweden is " Tjuv luft " Tjuv is Thief " Thiefs Air "
But to help De Danske Drenge -- Danish Boys
Valves has nothing to do with Air leaks upstream as far as I know.
But a valve adjustment is good to do
There was an earlier post on leak at the top of the Carburetor.
If so that will be affected smearing a bit of grease also mentioned . A little only and a grease that the gasket can withstand
If that is done more can be done .
A video upload does help and can give us indications of what and where the leak is
A blipping of the throttle and showing the exhaust Gentlemen here can see it JIM / gggGary/ 5T and others
Status of the rings and valve stem seals as well as of any engine rattle
If you upload a video of the top left and right side with sound the valve lash can be heard rather well.
If it is off or to tight.
If suspecting leaks intake .The method is using starter fluid or so Spraying around the intake boots and so
The engine rev will be affected.

More or less brainstorming at current info I believe the problem lies there after all
Carbs seems tight. Been all around. --> False air ?
It can be tricky to get it tight there At intake ...The rubber boot can be cracked
Last time I had problems was on the gasket against the engine Inner side I have 2 Allen bolts there not sure if stock and they are not so easy to get to. Needs extortioners and so

Some Blue smoke ?? .indicating engine wear ? Compression test done ?

So im still searching for my false air problem. My valves. Ive never adjusted them, actually never checked on em. And yes. It will be this weekends major project. But anyways, could the valves be my false air problem?
Carbs are freshly cleaned. My pilots etc should be just fine. Carbs seems tight. Been all around.
Thoughts?
And anything i should know concerning the valves? :)

77 xs650D custom :)

dwayne :)
Vacuum Leaks or false air is typically only caused by the carburetors/intakes. Valve adjustment can cause their own set of problems but not vacuum leaks. The most common causes for false air are carb insulators (intake boots), carb mounting (not fully seated), slide diaphragm damage, throttle shafts/seals, and vacuum hoses (petcock pilot line). What makes you so sure you have a false air issue? What are the specific symptoms you bike is experiencing? You definitely need to attend to your valves if you have not done so.

Hey Guys.
A follow up on the valves!
Right side inlet was almost completly closed. Left side outlet was the same. Right side outlet was way too tight also and the same with right side outlet.
Adjusted everything ofc. .003 inlet and .006.
Oh lord have mercy!!!
Me lovely bike runs “perfect” now. I think im even more in love now!! ❤️
The RPMs are not crazy anymore. When I start the engine the RPMs just sit there, calm and nice. And even after 5 min they still just sit there. Man… life… ❤️.
So I guess valves does matter when it comes to vacuum/rpm.
Dwayne

Last edited:
Back