Finally got one!!!

mastrmrk

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow XS650 fans,I'm new here (odviously)so please bear with me.In fact this is the first forum I've ever posted on.I've always kinda liked the look and sound of the XS and remember when a friend started riding one many years ago I thought "I'd like to get one of those".Well lo' and behold,,and I had to ask him about itI finally got one.Some time ago my wife told me I needed a hoby.I didn"t need to hear that twice and started looking.Then I heard that a friend of ours had an old bike in their back yard shed so I went to see her.She lived with, and took care of her dad so I asked him about it.He told me it was an old 650 Kawi and didn't want to sell it.I was bummed but my search had only begun so I had a couple of beers with them and left.Over the next 6 months or so I visited a couple of times but never again mentioned the bike or even saw it.Then we were told our friends dad passed away,and the day of the funeral our freind asked if I still was interested in the bike,and gave it to me!Well that old Kawi turned out to be a '74 TX650A that had been in the tin shed since about 1984 without being started.Tanks a little rusty and the carbs need a cleaning,but the the top end was rust free and still wet with oil as were the cyls.(looking though the spark plug holes).So before even turning it over I squirted oil every where I could onthe top end and changed the oil,pulled the plugs and gently turned it over...not stuck,goes into and out of every gear just fine.There's stuff missing but i got my hobby!Wish me luck!!

Wow,What a reception! Thanks to all.Please be patient with me as I'm a seme old guy,you know the type,a "hunt 'n pecker"/computer challenged.As soon as I get my kids to show me how I'll post some picks.Gotta warn you though,she aint\'t pretty(yet).I got some ideas and (limited)skills though.I'll try to make us proud.Till next time...

Last edited:
I think you're off to a great start.

mstrmrkxs.jpg

mstrmrkxs2.jpg

I agree that if it runs and it is safe ride it. Right now mine looks like hell but I am riding it every chance I get. I still have lots of work to do but it is definitenly ridable so right now my fun is riding until I get to the rest of the build. Ride Ride Ride!

Back