Finally got to ride it!

Willholmania

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
DVLA sent the reg through this morning, so insured it and made a cardboard numberplate. Managed a 10 mile ride in between rain storms. Everything worked brilliantly, except the speedo, which only managed to get up to 30mph. Probably just needs stripping and cleaning.

Attachments

• IMG_4711.jpeg
    IMG_4711.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 121
Hello Will,
When I rebuilt my '78 and took it for it's first run, the speedo and tacho were both sluggish. The tacho came good after about 50 mile - just like some members here had advised. The speedo hub in the wheel was stripped however and I had to buy a replacement. Easy, cheap fix and it runs perfectly. As I recall, it took a while to "settle" in as well. I replaced a bulb in the tacho and it, again, took a while to register correctly. Must be something to do with the mechanics, or atmospheric pressure or acts of God.
Congrats on your success! Have some fun!
Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks gents.

I’ll open up the Speedo this winter and see what it needs. With all the speed cameras about these days I could do with it working.

The front brake is a little underwhelming too. Might consider a twin disc setup.

Fantastic news that you're out and about on the bike!

When I first road my XS, I was underwhelmed by the front brake which I described as feeling wooden with not much feel - see here:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/miss-november-xs2-tribute.55057/page-33#post-616627

The solution which has worked for me was to fit new master cylinder with a smaller piston diameter.

This is a subject much discussed on the forum. 5Twins has done a lot of experimenting with different master cylinder set ups. At the same time, I fitted a Hel braided steel brake line - other makes are available as they say - and the brake has gone from adequate but no feel to quite good. There is still room for improvement and my next change will probably be an EBC drilled disc.

Back