Finally made up my mind!

Yes - I feel dumb for not having stuck with the Radian arm. I can't remember why I decided against it. I might not have had the axle adjusters/axle from the Radian which has a smaller diameter and longer axle than the XS (17 vs. 20mm). If you have the axle adjusters and axle, this becomes an easy bearing swap.

My current Radian arm has all the bits. So I just need to move the shock mounts, replace the needle bearings, swap out wheel bearings and buy a longer chain. We'll see if/when I ever bother.

Well, it's like you've seen. And I gleaned the ideas from Minton mods etc. on the web.

Simple bracing by the swingarm pivot (make sure to leave enough room for the dust caps but also keep it compact to allow chain clearance).

That was about it. We added one small tube just behind the downtube, which you can see in this picture - mostly just 'because'. 1/8" thick plates were welded across the seat tube area to provide mounting spots for the tank and seat and brace it once I cut the loop off. The open tubes left after cutting were filled with weld and ground smooth.

IMG_7484.jpg

Tim your work is inspirational, I've just bought a '73 it's in a boat coming over the atlantic!

Have you noticed a significant improvement in handling once the frame has that brace in there you welded on? My welding skills are poor so I'll have to outsource this work to someone good did you weld it in the frame under any tension? I understand a rear mudguard/fender can still be fitted with that upgrade if one wanted to.

Also perhaps another brace at the front of the frame under the engine might be beneficial although it may detract from the good looks of the duplex front of the frame, and I suppose the front of the engine braces it there anyway.

Back