Finally! Travis' build thread - Big Pimpin

BigJimmyW13

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Ok.... So maybe I lied a little.....

However, anyone ever notice how Travis doesn't have a build thread? Well I did... Almost 2 years ago whenever I joined..... I have been harping him ever since. So now I am officially starting a campaign for him to post one. He's probably going to hate me for this, but I have a feeling he will just try to avoid it further. :laughing:

So, if you would like to see Travis' build thread. Post it up in here how he should show off!

yeah!!! and you keep changing your avatar!!
And I dont recall seeing your build thread!

sorry jimmy. its been a while.
why do you keep changing your avatar though? how do you scroll down fast, and find your last post? at least thats how i do it. i look for my face, and I stop.

Angus, not to change the subject :D but when you are looking at the list of the threads in a forum, if there are any unread posts in a thread, there is button to the left of the title that looks like this:
firstnew.gif
Click that and when the thread opens it will be on the first new post since you last opened the thread. The database will track what you've read and not read for 14 days. After that, everything is marked as read. You can also mark entire threads or fourms as read by clicking thread tools or forum tools at the top right.

the one you have now looks like your about to go to town on bin laden's skull...if you know what i mean

Alriiiiight!

Here's a pic from a couple of years ago that I posted in the Let's see the XS's thread:

xs650project01.jpg

It still looks pretty much the same now.. I don't really like where the project is going so I haven't done much to it. Now it's more like my test mule for different carbs and things like that. :shrug:

I can't seem to find a tank that looks good with the headlight and the rest of the bike and I want to use that headlight. I know when bike looks good but just can't seem to make my bike look good.. if you know what I mean.. I a critic, not an artist.

If I ever finish it, it will be by lowering the headlight, using clip-ons, new seat rails, and a different tank.

You did really well with that rear fender, i remember reading about your build, maybe a drop in like this on that large tank may give you more direction, i love the way it looks and want to end up this direction with mine... and yes im sorry thats a honda 750 but its the only picture i saw with what i was thinking..

Attachments

• sb%20white%20background.jpg
    sb%20white%20background.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 183
Travis that rear fender is killer!!! Have any more details you can show on it...like what it started out ass and how it's mounted to the swing arm?

mrkil, It's funny you mention a Bantam tank.. About a year ago, I bought one and put it on there for a few months, but it didn't look exactly like that one, and was small so it made the headlight look big. Then I got MikesXS flat slide carbs and needed a tank that would actually bolt down, since the bantam tank was just kind of sitting there, so now it has the stock tank back on it. I'll probably try the bantam tank again when I have some time.

Koy1964, That's the "super bobber" built by Ken from Cycle X. I've seen that bike in person many times as I have a friend who works for Ken. There are a lot of very nice details on that bike but I'm not a fan of the tank. :shrug:

Koy1964 and bswinn, I've had a lot of people ask about that fender and I'm sure I've posted about it here somewhere. I had it made by a guy who used to sell them on ebay. I'm not sure if he's still selling them but the guys ebay id was fenderbender777.

The one I had him make was 6-1/4" wide with a 2" skirt. I think the diameter was 26-1/2" at the center. It was the smallest diameter he could do at the time. . I wanted the diameter to be slightly smaller, I think 25-1/2", which is why I cut those slots in the fender, compressed it, and welded it back up. The fender is mounted to the battery box that is on the front of the swingarm. I did that a few years ago by drawing it all up in some freebie CAD program and having it waterjet cut. There are slots in the battery box that the fender struts mount to so the whole thing can move back and forth about 1-1/4". That way, when the wheel is moved back or forward on the swingarm, the fender can always be centered.

I see the problem, you need a set of my pipes :laugh: +1 on that tank :thumbsup: P.S. One of you hardtail kits just showed up at my door, not kidding, gotta go....

Love that headlight. I have a 65 Ducati bucket for my next build. I'm working on a cycle x trike kit right now. Been learning alot of cb750 stuff.....hope to rebuild my XS soon as that is done. I have an old triumph tank I hope to use with that ducati headlight. Triumph bobber look alike.

Back