Firestone/Shinko Performance characteristics

xander18

Hotrod Hobo
Reaction score
Hey team XS,
Can anyone tell me about performance characteristics of the Firestone/Shinko classic zig zag tread tires? (Coker link) I see that there are a lot on bobber/chopper bikes but I didn't find as many pics of them on cafes.

I'm building a cafe bike but until I do performance mods to the engine (probably over the winter) I'll be riding it pretty tame. But if these bias ply tires with vintage tread designs really won't hold up under cornering then I'll compromise for a more modern look.

Tires a cheaper then a medical bill.Forget the Stinko tires and get a nice set of Bridgestone Bt45V

Agreed... I don't think they're performance oriented tires. I have BT45s on my Ninja 250R and love them, and I have Kenda Sport Challengers on my TX cafe Roadster. Recommend them highly!

TC

I have shinko 705's on my bike and LOVE them. They are actually stickier than any sportbike tire I've tried (never had race tires). They also performed excellent in the rain the the couple times I've been caught too.

The 240 that everyone seems to want isn't a performance tire in anyway, shape, or form though, but it doesn't pretend to be. Its simply meant to give you the retro style thats so popular. Seriously though, how hard are you cornering on a bobber/chopper anyway... if your pushing the these tires past their threshold of grip you should tighten up the nut behind the bars.

Bash the brand all you want... my Shinko Dual Sport tires are awesome looking and performing.

the firestones are for the retro look not handling, the Shinkos are a reasonably low priced tire for average riding/average conditions, if you're into knee dragging buy the best street tires you can afford

I'm a firm believer in Shinko's. Bought a set of 005's for my SV1000n and they are as quality a tire as I have needs for. After about 300 miles they really broke in nicely, great profile, nice roundness (radial run-out) at 0.006" for the rear and 0.005" for the front (I check wayyyyy to many things) with about 0.015" lateral run-out. Of course, I tried to take wheel run-out into account....but I have pretty good confidence with my repeatably.

I look forward to putting 705's on my XS.

Back