First accident: Going to need some parts, guys.

Classic

rackin' up the miles
Reaction score
I got hit head-on...............

Just picking up some groceries.... it's just about 50F. Bike is running fantastic and I'm in a chipper mood. Cruising along at 45mph and some guy going to opposite direction feels the need to make a left turn without looking.

Well...... I'll let the pictures do the talking.

I took this shot as I got to the store moments before it happened (I always take a picture of the bike on the first day of the riding season):

Image02132011175527.jpg

And this is what it looked like immediately after impact:

Image02132011183118.jpg

I ended up riding it the rest of the 3 miles to my house. It was a little awkward but luckily I had a decent size tool set with me so I made sure everything was tight before I rolled off.

Image02132011192327.jpg

As far as my health I'm a little sore but I hopped up as soon as I stopped sliding and pushed the bike to side of the road so I would say I'm in pretty good shape besides my right knee being a little....open.

Image02132011192836-1.jpg

A remarkably good outcome to a nasty event! Woosh how did you avoid attacking the moron in the cage?

I kept my cool because I knew nothing good would come from being mad. I wasn't even that angry... more confused. All I could think was "how in the hell did he not see me?".

Frame is fine. I think the wheel is straight... not sure about the brake disc.

If you need it I'll send you a used brake disc for the cost of shipping. I could help with frame parts (Got several frames without titles) but I don't currently have any unused front ends.

If the fork tubes are only bent and not crimped they can be straightened in an arbor press. Tubes with crimps are scrap metal. If the chrome breaks the plating shop can remove the old chrome by reversing the polarity of their plating tanks.

When you're sure of what you need to fix it, let me know and I'll pitch in what I can scrounge.

I once shortened a set of 10" over stock tubes to about 2" under stock with the help of a Ford Granada-- you're going to be really sore tomorrow-- hurry up and get better.

I'm probably considered over cautious, so take what I say with a grain of salt...
I'd be suspect on the wheel, those mags are not the greatest, in fact fairly close to the oldest style around, small fractures can end up spreading and causing drama's at the worst possible time (the time they are working at their hardest).

Triple clamps will need to be checked. as will the steering head bearings (good time to put in the tapered rollers if you've still got balls).

Wont the offending chariot operators insurance (or if not insured his hip pocket) be paying for the repairs needed? Replace the entire front end with new from Mikes!

Classic,
Glad your OK!
As far as the bike goes,put the best parts on possible as long as his insurance is paying!
Your bike looked super clean,so don't settle for second best.
Insurance companies will try to screw you over.
Stand your ground!
Thumb's up for riding it home like that,your a trooper!!!

Take it to a dealer and get a real estimate (we would all like to see it :) ). Then settle with the insurance company when it's a total and maybe buy it back, or get another. Don't offer to fix it FOR them. The book value is pretty high.

Glad you're OK. :)

John

Classic I had a 92 year old lady make an illegal and unsafe turn in front of me. I was on my KLR650. State Farm totaled the bike and gave me more than a fair price. That is how I got into XS 650's. Check your self out completely because I thought I was ok but ended up with a separated shoulder and a broken collar bone at the sternum. Good luck with yourself and bike. Tony C.

I'll be looking for stress cracks in the triple trees and wheel tomorrow. The front brake felt fine on the ride back but I wasn't going over 40mph so I didn't really get into it. Insurance was a no go for this accident. I ended up getting everything he had then we went to the bank and took out some more. I won't be going with any new parts but the list so far is:
Speedometer cable
headlight bucket and holders
forks (obviously)
bars
alternator cover
front fender
shift lever

Classic, I'm glad you're OK first of all. After all, it's just a bike. Make sure you are OK. Everyone makes great points, so keep them in mind. That being said, I can't believe you rode that bike home with those bent forks! Holy crap!

I'm probably considered over cautious, so take what I say with a grain of salt...
I'd be suspect on the wheel, those mags are not the greatest, in fact fairly close to the oldest style around, small fractures can end up spreading and causing drama's at the worst possible time (the time they are working at their hardest).

Triple clamps will need to be checked. as will the steering head bearings (good time to put in the tapered rollers if you've still got balls).

Wont the offending chariot operators insurance (or if not insured his hip pocket) be paying for the repairs needed? Replace the entire front end with new from Mikes!

The wheel, disc, and triple trees check out O.K. The bearings are fine (although I seem to have lost a ball) and I'm not sure why people change them. My ball bearings have been doing a perfectly fine job.

Classic, I'm glad you're OK first of all. After all, it's just a bike. Make sure you are OK. Everyone makes great points, so keep them in mind. That being said, I can't believe you rode that bike home with those bent forks! Holy crap!

I wasn't thinking I'd be able to but the engine was still running perfect so I rolled on first for a few feet and it was tracking straight enough. Nothing behind the neck was even touched. It was just about 40mph to zero in a fraction of a second.

Last edited:
There is a local XS rider that I'll be buying a lot of the parts from later this week. After I get everything I need from him I'll let you guys know what I'm missing.

You get a man card for riding it home.

Chuck the wheel, a racer friend of mine has had the mags disintegrate at high speed, he says there is no warning with them. It shouldn't be that hard to find another front wheel, especially with the folks around here.

Mags are tougher than they look, I had a bent honda cbr front mag so for kicks and grins I did a forensic inspection with a sledge hammer. I was surprised how long it took me to break it. I really had it mashed before it gave up.

Back