First bike build. Meet Maxxine.

teionjames

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this is my first bike ever and I couldn't be happier. Things are starting off slow as I work insane hours. She's a 1981 xs. DNA springer (not pictured), fatboy wheels, brat style. Triumph tank that I'm still not too sure about. Not really much else to say at this point. Will definitely keep adding to this as the build goes along. Going to tackle the frame this weekend so pictures will be up soon.
Resampled_2013-05-10_18-39-14_62.jpg
Took the seat, fenders and highway pegs off of it. Not keeping the sportster tank it had on it either.
Resampled_2013-05-10_19-00-05_328.jpg
After a quick tear down. The PO started to do "something" with the wiring. God only knows. Most of that will obviously be deleted.
Resampled_2013-05-10_19-06-20_703.jpg
Still not sure about the Triumph tank on there. I love the shape and over all look of the tank (after it's repainted haha) I just don't know if it's too big for the bike. I'll have to mess with the fit more once I do the frame and go from there. I know it's not much to look at yet, but I'm enjoying myself thus far and I don't see that changing. Thanks for looking.

Got a little more accomplished this week. Took off the stock front end and waiting to put the springer on there. Got all unnecessary tabs and brackets shaved off the frame (which I completely forgot to take pictures of because I'm an idiot) Made sure the wheels are going to work with the 5 inch tire. My monstercrafstman brat kit should be here any day so that will be put on asap.
IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0146.jpg

This is my buddy Bills xs as it sits now. He's stretching the swing arm as well as the frame. Going to look pretty crazy when its done. Tank is off an old dirt bike.
IMG_0142.jpg

Got a decent bit of work done yesterday, after I was done hanging out with R. Lee Ermey!!!!
Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 6.37.36 PM.jpg

Got most of the shaved bits cleaned up with the flapper. Also got to mock up the Monstercraftsman brat kit.
IMG_7551.jpg

You know its a good day when you go home to shower and have metal shavings in your ears!

IMG_0205.jpg

Got a lovely package for Lowbrow Customs in the mail yesterday. Wassell style peanut tank and a tc bros diy exhaust kit. Can't wait to get into the shop this week and take a look at this tank on the bike. Gonna have a good time figuring out the exhaust set up as well. And yes.....they included a bag of peanuts with the tank!! Solid dudes at Lowbrow.

Got a little bit more work done this week. More shaving/deleting of miscellaneous brackets and tabs I won't be using. Got the brat kit welded into place, after cutting it completely apart. I decided I didn't like how hight the seat would have been positioned so dropping the plate for the seat pan underneath the tubes. Put the new peanut tank on there, which is MUCH better than the giant triumph tank I was going to run.

IMG_0233.jpg

Painted my wheels and got the rear tire (firestone ans, 5.00x16) mounted. Pulled all the covers on the motor to paint (not pictured) yet. Still tossing around ideas for exhaust, torn between two different setups. More pictures to come soon.
Screen Shot 2013-06-17 at 2.42.11 PM.jpg

Shaved off the the extra bit of chain guard on the left side engine case. Painted all the covers and some other bits flat black. Not too bad for a sick day in my tiny, tiny shed.
Screen Shot 2013-06-19 at 1.54.43 PM.jpg

mine is 6 x 9 hahaha. Its a super old farm shed. Can't even fit the bike itself in there, just all the bits and pieces and still have enough room to spin around....maybe. It does make me feel "closer" to the bike haha

Got most of the covers back on. Got the front end on, just waiting on my shorter tubes. I'm not running these risers or bars either, they were just already on the trees and I was running short on time. Hope to get the exhaust done this week and she'll be on the ground rolling by the end of the week!!!!
IMG_0362.jpg

Back