First chopper build.

strungxout

Awesome
Reaction score
I finally bought the bike I'm going to use for my first chopper build, a 79 xs650. I decided I'm going with the TC Bro's weld on hardtail... I don't really like the ride height (5 inches), but it's the cheapest and I hear good things about their products. After that, I plan on raking the neck which I've never done before. I don't have a jig set up yet, but do I really need one for the hardtail? Could anybody offer any tips for the hardtail and the rake? I'm pretty much clueless at this point haha. Also I have a set of extended forks from a CB450, but I don't know the diameter of the stock xs forks to know if they'll fit with the stock triple trees or not. Could anybody help me out there? Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Your fork tubes should be 35mm in diameter. If you're going to rank the neck and do a hardtail, you're probably going to want some kind of jig to hold things and keep everything straight. If you don't like the ride height of their partially pre-welded kit, and have the skills/resources to rake the neck, and will need a jig anyway, why not just buy their universal kit? That way you can set your own ride height and change the looks a little bit from their standard hardtail.

I agree. Not a big fan of the tc bros hardtail angles,makes the backbone too steep,they all look the same and the wheelbase is too short in my opinion but that's just me. I think it's a good idea to rake it a little and I think it looks better with the rear wheel about 4 more inches back from stock. All those hardtail's look like your riding a 45 degree angle around. I really think this is a nice bobber

Attachments

• atom_bomb_custom.jpg
    atom_bomb_custom.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 270
I agree. Not a big fan of the tc bros hardtail angles,makes the backbone too steep,they all look the same and the wheelbase is too short in my opinion but that's just me. I think it's a good idea to rake it a little and I think it looks better with the rear wheel about 4 more inches back from stock. All those hardtail's look like your riding a 45 degree angle around. I really think this is a nice bobber

The rake is my problem. I know the common way is to cut the backbone and downtubes, I just don't know any other details. Know of any websites going into detail about it?

Back