First ever motorcycle and first restoration

jeflon

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I found a 1975 model "not running" for $400. I have never owned a motorcycle and my riding experience is 15 minutes about 25 years ago. I have always wanted to rebuild one and the opportunity presented itself. I look forward to the process and educating myself here.

As is, rolled off the trailer into my garage...
main650.jpg

You have your work cut out for you... but don't worry, when I bought my Triumph, it was in worse shape than that. Keep your head on, and you'll have yourself one fine ride!

Hi jeflon and welcome,
Oh my, didja get a pile of parts along with what's shown in the photo or is that all of it?
You can look through the list's classifieds and hopefully find all you'll need to get the bike running.
for a start, you'll need to install the front engine mount before you even turn the motor over.
[edit]
your post #3 leapfrogged this one.
Before you ride the bike anywhere, check out the front forks & wheel.
All single front disk XS650s have the disk on the right hand side and yours is on the left.
The '75 XS650 had it's brake caliper lugs (there are lugs on both sides because other market XS650s ran dual disks) on the front of the fork sliders and yours are on the rear.
Either the dreaded PO has reassembled it wrong &/or the forks are from a later bike.
Note that lotsa XS650 parts swap between models & years like LEGO so anything is possible.
[2nd edit] your wrongside-mounted front brake disk is the 2-part disk that goes with the 34mm fork tube brake caliper.
But as the front brake caliper ain't there; check the fork tube diameter to see what's up.
If it's a 35mm fork from a later year the wheel itself will still fit but it'll need the later one-piece brake disk and the later model caliper or things won't line up.

Last edited:
I got a box of parts that included headlight, fenders, tail-light, carburators, bolts, nuts, speedometer,tach, etc.
I know front brakes are missing and may need a new front axle as it was machined down for some reason.
I plan on a dissasembling, cleaning, and inventory process and stepping through the engine overhaul http://www.xs650.de/literatur/wsh/pdf/03-motor.pdf

started with the breaker and advance unit...
IMG_3374.jpg
I will start doing before and after photos as I go along. I was excited to get started and see something done so no before on these parts :)

Hi jeflon and welcome,
Oh my, didja get a pile of parts along with what's shown in the photo or is that all of it?
You can look through the list's classifieds and hopefully find all you'll need to get the bike running.
for a start, you'll need to install the front engine mount before you even turn the motor over.
[edit]
your post #3 leapfrogged this one.
Before you ride the bike anywhere, check out the front forks & wheel.
All single front disk XS650s have the disk on the right hand side and yours is on the left.
The '75 XS650 had it's brake caliper lugs (there are lugs on both sides because other market XS650s ran dual disks) on the front of the fork sliders and yours are on the rear.
Either the dreaded PO has reassembled it wrong &/or the forks are from a later bike.
Note that lotsa XS650 parts swap between models & years like LEGO so anything is possible.
[2nd edit] your wrongside-mounted front brake disk is the 2-part disk that goes with the 34mm fork tube brake caliper.
But as the front brake caliper ain't there; check the fork tube diameter to see what's up.
If it's a 35mm fork from a later year the wheel itself will still fit but it'll need the later one-piece brake disk and the later model caliper or things won't line up.
Good to know about the forks and brakes. I had would have had no idea until i started to work on that area and really got confused

I got a box of parts that included headlight, fenders, tail-light, carburators, bolts, nuts, speedometer,tach, etc.
I know front brakes are missing and may need a new front axle as it was machined down for some reason.
I plan on a dissasembling, cleaning, and inventory process and stepping through the engine overhaul http://www.xs650.de/literatur/wsh/pdf/03-motor.pdf

I will start doing before and after photos as I go along.

- - - I know front brakes are missing and may need a new front axle as it was machined down for some reason. - - -

Hi jeflon,
betcha the axle was machined so the front wheel would go in backwards.
Same way the fork legs are most likely on the wrong sides.
Beginning to realize the reason you got a $400 bargain, eh?
WTF, it's all salvageable, right?

Hi jeflon,
betcha the axle was machined so the front wheel would go in backwards.
Same way the fork legs are most likely on the wrong sides.
Beginning to realize the reason you got a $400 bargain, eh?
WTF, it's all salvageable, right?
The original ad with the bike fully assembled showed the outer tubes reversed, and the wheel flipped. The PO had started something and got tied up in other projects looks like just sort of slapped it back together. I looked at the manual and I do see what you mean by everything being backwards. The cap bolts are chewed up, so I know the forks came off at some point.
I plan on spending some money, and I likely wont sell it, so I am not so concerned about financial turnaround. It is worth 400 just to be able to do this and get the education that will come with it.
And of course, more excuses to by new tools!!

Last edited:
Welcome. I'm just up the road from you in Cumming. Looks like you got yourself a nice project there...

For the body I am looking at some decisions.
This model was originally sold in "star black" and from what I can tell, the exact paint codes are proprietary so no chance of doing a "pure" paint restoration.
I found a commercial powder coating company that will powder coat (frame and tank) for about 125.00 and they have a few good reviews. However, they do not do designs.
I would like to have the original yamaha tank markings and side markings.
Are there some stencil kits I can use after the powder coat, and is that doable?
Or is the decal set the way to go?

Hey there Atlanta 650 enthusiasts! I'm right up the road in Dahlonega. How about motoring up to the Iron Horse in three weeks. We're going to have a big time!

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41065

We're having a meet-up in Cornelia and the Days Inn 0930 on the 25th. Be there! Beds are gone. You'll need your tent and sleeping bag.

For the body I am looking at some decisions.
This model was originally sold in "star black" and from what I can tell, the exact paint codes are proprietary so no chance of doing a "pure" paint restoration.
I found a commercial powder coating company that will powder coat (frame and tank) for about 125.00 and they have a few good reviews. However, they do not do designs.
I would like to have the original yamaha tank markings and side markings.
Are there some stencil kits I can use after the powder coat, and is that doable?
Or is the decal set the way to go?

You'll get a nicer finish with paint on the tank and side covers. Also, you can put clear over the decals.

The XS650B is fairly common. Paint it a color that makes you happy. Choose well and I don't think it matters that much to the value.

You'll get a nicer finish with paint on the tank and side covers. Also, you can put clear over the decals.

The XS650B is fairly common. Paint it a color that makes you happy. Choose well and I don't think it matters that much to the value.

Yes, check out the '75B euro and Oceania models in red with the graphics, mighty fine.

If value is not affected, then I will probably go with a brighter color for the tanks and sides while still powder coating the frame black.
I am entertaining automotive spray paint....

Cool. It would reduce the cost of the powder coat if I just do the frame, then paint the tank and sides myself.
Auto spray paint?

Hi jeflon,
while powdercoat is tougher than automotive paint you can't fix it if it does get scratched.
T'ain't cheap neither.
If you have access to paint spraying gear AND A GOOD BREATHING MASK fizz the thing over with 2-part automotive paint in the colour of your choice.
Some folks like Astro Towtruck Orange.

P1010204.jpg

OK, that's my XS11 rig, the Flying Pumpkin.
My XS650 tank & sidecovers are still in boring basic black.
I'm aesthetically torn:-
Tank & covers silver/silver grey to match the Velorex?
Go orange again and turn the Silver Bullet into Pumpkin 2?
Or go with BRG and call the rig The Galloping Gherkin?

Last edited:
Back