First gen turn signal rebuild - question

DougXS2

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm going thru the left side controls on my '72 and noticed something odd once I got it apart.

I'll try to explain this without being confusing.... anyway, the sliding lever that controls the turn signals, slides from side to side to operate normally. mine acts a little dodgy, so I removed the one small screw that holds this slider 'arm' and noticed that the pivot hole in the arm is an oval rather than a circle and there's no spacer or ??? to take up the 'slack'

and the oval hole is quite a bit larger than the small screw that it pivots on.... causing a bit of wiggle and making the operation feel off? btw, the oval hole appears to be produced that way, not worn or chewed out.

Anyone had theirs apart and noticed the same, or perhaps some small piece is missing (my guess) as I'm sure its all been apart way back in the past. the housing screws are definately not originals.

thanks and sorry for the long/confusing post. and for not having a picture yet.

Last edited:
Would the fact that you can push the button to reset to off be the reason?
Push the lever right or left it will return to the middle.
Pushing straight in will cancell the turn signal.

could be....

I don't think that functionality is working currently. I'll double check it. but that does make sense.

maybe re-greasing everything will bring it back.

I have a '72 as well and I had mine apart last week to fix it because it was sticking. I believe that the hole is oval because when it is in the center/off position, the distance between the pivot point and the knob on the sliding piece is shorter than the distance between the same two points when the button is to the left or right. The oval allows the piece to move slightly forward and back when the switch moves.

Also, there isn't a spacer that fills the oval hole, but on mine, the washer under the screw has a flange on it that acts as a spacer and allows the screw to be tightened without pinning down the switch so it will still move properly.

ok...I was mixed up when I described the oval.... the oval hole wasnt what was confusing me, it was the hole under the screw. Its over sized and lets the entire selector lever wiggle back and forth.

And on mine, that lever is held down with a small screw, lock washer and slightly larger flat washer. nothing with a flange. I suspect thats where my trouble is.

its almost a mute point because while I had it off of the bike, I dropped it and snapped the on-off slider off.... so am basically looking for either a replacement or parts unit.

any ideas what years were the same as 72?

Back