First motorcycle, '79 xs650 Special

D Stroy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. I just bought a 79 special 3 weeks ago. Found you guys when I was trying to figure out which bike to buy and when I bought one, your posts were a big help in choosing the exhaust that was lacking. Right now, everything is stock except Mikes commando exhaust. Carbs needed some adjustment and brakes needed bleeding but that was it. Can't wait to get out and learn to ride it.

You made a good choice. Take the msf class. It's the best way to learn to ride, and just take the cert to the dmv and trade it for a license. No road test. The class isn't expensive, but if you're under 18 some states will reimburse the cost to you.

I'm in the same boat. Definitely take the class, get some gear and learn to ride the bike stock before you start cutting into it.

Ya I doubt I will cut into it for a long time, if ever. I forgot to mention that it has some old Triumph bars on it too instead of the pullbacks, look sort of like the standard 650 bars. I wanted to take the class, but it was booked through August up here in NH. Gear I will do, and lots of practice.

Summer time is a tough period to get into the msf class, everyone wants to learn to ride while its nice. I actually took the class 2 years ago, and recommend it, they teach you pretty much everything in basic, simple steps. I just recently bought my first bike, an 80 special, and even though those 2 yrs had passed, the info from the class came right back and I was riding like it was a bicycle.

Posted via Mobile

Back