First rewire (FNG), couple of questions

pnedac

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am taking a 77 xs 650 from bare nothing and making it all come together. I am running a PAMCO ignition with the recomended mikesxs coil 6822.

I am also running the 2x Radio Shack full bridge rectifiers and the companion R292 regulator. As I am starting from nothing, I am struggling to figure out where the orange and yellow wires form the regulator go? I know they together work as the positive. Do they connect up with the rectifiers?

I am using the first diagram on the tech page. (for reference)

I am also not clearly seeing what the difference between "turn signal" and "turn signal relay" and how they relate. I know of course that the signals themselves need to be linked somehow to the relay and the actual switch on the bars, but I am not understanding the logic in the diagram. My turn signal switch on the bars has 6 wires, but the diagram references only three. Hmmmm..

Any and all help is very much appreciated!

Thanks again

Pat

pnedac;

I use a VR-115 regulator but the R292 should be wired the same. The orange and the yellow both connect to the brown wire which is the main power feed after the ignition switch. The green will connect to the left (outer) brush on the alternator (existing green wire in the harness). The black connects to the common black wire in the harness or to bare metal.

The rectifier is a separate circuit, no ties to the regulator.

Your left bar switch also has the horn and headlight Hi/lo switches which accounts for the extra wires. The turn signal relay is the flasher and the turn signal is the bar switch in the diagram.

For the signals you need a switched 12V to one side of a two prong flasher and the other side gets the brown/white that goes up to the bar switch. Dark green and dark brown are your R/L positive wires comming out of the switch going to your signals. Remember for LED signals you need a different flasher.

I've got the same pamco, radio shack and 292 set-up on my 77...works great!

Alright, I thank you both for the insights and help on this. I think because I am trying to do something that is not 100% exactly like any one of the diagrams that are on the site, I must resort to a little creativity combined with a little logic. I see now that on of the diagrams shows me that the regulator and rectifier is seperate so I will run with that part of that diagram. Most of the diagrams show a combined regulator/rectifier unit as one (those things are pricey!) Nothing is ever as simple as one might like it to be huh?

It would be a miracle if the PO would have left the stock setup alone and not hacked everyhting to unusable pieces, but why would anyone leave something usable alone? That would make far too much sense for the average person.

Thanks again!

Pat

Okay so I have everything wired up on the bike now. No fuses blowing and everything has power and the key turns everything on and off as it should. One little issue though, now that I am done with the wiring (I used the forth wiring diagram down from the top on the tech page "some wiring diagram") I am now not sure how to get the starter solenoid to get back into the mix here. I went the local auto parts store and purchase a cheap replacement three wire key switch (the three wires are Ignition, Battery, and accessory). I am just not sure how to wire the starter solenoid back into the mix so that I can use the push button. Kick starting is fine, but I would always like to have the electronic starter too ya know?

Any and all help is certainly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

looks like youve made a ton of progress!!

how to wire in the starter solenoid depends on the switch your using for the electric starter...

the solenoid has 4 wires on it. the 2 BIG ones are 1 from the positive battery post and 2 to the starter.

the two other wires are a positive and ground. when both are connected, the solenoid will switch and your starter will engage. so depending on how your switch works, you need to wire either + or - drectly to its respective side on the solenoid and the unused wire through the switch

i BELIEVE (dont quote me on this as im not even using them) that the stock switch will ground the wire coming to it. in that case you would connect an accessory + (gets power with key on) to the solenoid, and the ground wire would run to the e-start button to ground the circut and flip the solenoid....

hope that helps!

Last edited:
Is the key switch a two or three position switch? Just off/on or off/ on/ start?
If it's just off/on and your using the stock right side bar switches, then it's pretty simple/ Hook a wire to the ign or assec connection on the switch run this to the red/white wire on the starter relay. The blue/white relay wire hook some wire on here and run it up to the start button.
The heavy cables on the relay one hooks to battery positive, the oter goes down to the starter.
Now if your bars are properly grounded then when you turn the key on and push the start button the engine should spin over and start.
If the switch has a start position like a car, then on the back of the switch it will have a start terminal. When you turn the key to the start position power goes out the stsart connection. Hook a wire to from there to the red/white wire on the rwlay, ground the blue/white. Now when you trun the switch to stat then the start spins thew engine and the bike starts.
Leo

Back