First ride of a first build. 1976 cafe

klrx7

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am about 95% complete with my first café build and took it out for the first ride this weekend. Bought it from a salvage yard and pieced it back together/ restored / modified it with some help from posts on this site. Last time it was ridden was in 1992. Very rewarding to have a mostly trouble free ride. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone and share some before and after pics.

Attachments

• 20130817_202710.jpg
    20130817_202710.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 20140426_165323.jpg
    20140426_165323.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 282
eww....that was one ugly duck. Great looking bike now.
First rides are usually trouble free, its the second or third you have to watch out for. Shit vibrates loose, electrical gremlins throw a party, old components that have not had any load on them for 20 + years start to wake up,(grumpy bastards)
One recommendation? fork brace.

Yes, you'll discover very quickly that you need something on those forks, even if it's just the fender. Can't say I've ever seen air filters like you're running. Being so small and tapered may cause some tuning headaches. These CV carbs don't like a tapered filter.

its funny you say that, because I have a 03 Suzuki, and am on another forum, and in taking the air boxes off, the formula for the suzi with cv carbs (bds36) is with the tru k$n filter, wich looks to be the same size as klrx7's. I noted our use of uni's and that pleated filters can hurt cv carbs. I got a true tongue lashing. One thought is the circumference of the filter. Could it be that the larger k$n is ok to use? more stable air due to more area inside the filter? The vacuum hole for the slide on the bds's are even closer to the lip than our 34/38's
Because of this, I don't recommend a particular filter, unless people put them really cheap emgo pods on.
For this bike, as far as bracing goes, It would be a shame to slap a stock fender on, That why I recommend the brace.

I'm not sure he has K&Ns there. I don't see the pleats, unless he's got some sort of "sock" cover on them.

Here is one thred there talking about this issue. I cant find the original 'laugh at me' thred. forum is difficult to navigate.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/mig/messages?msg=33133.1
uh,oh....I got my threads mixed up....trex has the large k$n's on his. But in any case, A discussion in a new thred in tech would be best for filters. Involving diameter, stable air volume ,carb design in regards to vacuum hole, so on and so forth.

Filters are pleated with a foam "sock". Had to lower / sync my floats a little. Other than that no tuning issues. I am impressed with the power it has. A buddy's cb 550/4 and my brothers cx 500 can't hang with it. Just curious what will the fork brace do for me. I have only put about 200 miles on it. Any handling quirks I don't know if it is just how these things are or if it is something I can improve.

Back