First step for long time standing bike (newb)

nevsie

XS650 Member
Reaction score
In short... I am no mechanic or engineer, just want to learn.
I have a 79 xs650 in UK. Modified frame, standard forks, and other odd changes. It has been standing for 10 plus years, after being "redone" by previous owner who then could not use due to Ill health. Apparently had a top end rebuild and was running well before garaged. Fuel drained before storage. It does kick over, and feels like good compression, but I might be newbie wrong.

So for my start... I intend to just get it running and see what its really like.
Therefore I was thinking new oil, new sump filter, oil filter, gaskets and seals.
Maybe give the carb a clean (learn).
Add an inline fuel filter and see how it goes...

Does this sound reasonable or am I acting clownish, missing obvious, etc?

Going to stop, there as I have a million and one questions... But hoped someone can guide this noob! Cheers.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. Sounds like you are on the right track. Best to go over the whole bike, cam chain and valve adjustment add to list. What year is it?

Yeah, once i get my confidence up and maybe hear it for the first time then i will start doing more... but i guess cam and valves should be before i test it???

Documentation has it as a 79, but from research with numbers etc it seems more like a 78. I imagine it was late registered, or in a transition period.

Once running, i was then looking to sort clutch, brakes, suspension... before making the big decision of whether to fully break apart and rebuild, or just let it be as is...

For reference, adding pic

Last edited:
The oil "filters" in these bikes are just wire screen. You clean and re-use them although it is nice to have a spare set for swapping in at oil changes. Then you can clean the used ones at your leisure and have them ready for the next oil change.

Somebody did a lot of work to that bike and took good care of it. Maybe I'm ignorant but I'd just change the oil and try to start it.

+1 itsatoy, someone did a nice job on that bike. With the billet trees I would have thought it a more recent build than 10 years ago.

Intend to look after it, and probably will end up keeping as is and cleaning up...
The original owner last MOT'd this in the UK 2000, but was due to be back on the road shortly after. Then became ill and never did. Pretty much stood since then, and i believe died about 6-7 years ago. This was the last bike the wife sold - although the others were apparently just kept for good intentions!

Oil Filters - The sump filter apparently tears easily... So i thought i might as well just get new... But perhaps i would be better draining and look at the first - no rush after all.

The down side to it standing for so long is that the frame is rough and bubbling bad. Tins are begining to need attention, and well chrome is chrome! But based on what you guys are saying - you would suggest keeping it as is rather than making it my own? I am happy with this, as next one could be a ground up build i guess, rather than ruining the passion from a previous builder!

Yes, the sump filters are prone to blowing out, but many of us just patch them. A sump filter runs about $30 so it could get very expensive buying a new one for every oil change. Besides, I don't feel the quality of the aftermarket replacements is as good as an original. Yes, I have a couple, but I have and use more patched originals. Note the filter on the lower left. That's an aftermarket replacement. Besides rupturing, the magnet fell out too, lol .....

SumpFilters.jpg

It's not stock so unless you have some connection to the PO then make it what you want.

I just meant as far as all that maintenance you were worried about. Chances are its already good to go. Of course before you ride it much you want to make sure its safe but as far as the engine just get it running and let it tell you what it needs.

Cool. cheers, let me get some oil and start fiddling!

In terms of the changes - it is more a case of if i change the frame, forks, wheels... lets be honest i am transplanting an engine so whats the point in taking apart some thing that people like...
For me - this first step is leanring and getting dirty before i go whole hog on my own. Be it with this, or another...

Now this little bit of modern vintage is what i lean towards... maybe add a nice fine springer to this!!!
http://www.xs650chopper.com/2010/05/this-is-emma-‘77-xs650750cc’s/

You could probably learn the ropes cleaning this one up and then flip it to fund the next project. But who cares, tare this one up if you want to.

nevsie,
I hope she fires up no problem no worries.
There will be plenty to "take care of mechanically" long the way.
Cam chain and valves being a good start.
I think the builder did a fine job with the 50's look and wouldn't change a thing EXCEPT the air filters.
The same advice every newbie gets from me. Fix and ride what you have then move to the form part.

Yes, it's hard to see them clearly in your pic, but if those pods are the pleated K&N style, it's best you change them. Also, they're tapered which CV carbs don't like. A straight foam type pod works best.

Yeah the Air Pods are tapered and pleated K&N style...
But just about every where i look thats what is supplied -
http://www.mikesxs.net/products-112.html

That is unless you have the original boxed versions...

So would non tapered be better? Or is it the pleated type holds too much crap in there?

Thanks, N

The general opinion is that the pleated type filters like the K&N or the knock offs that mikes sells cause too much turbulance in the incoming air stream which the cv type carbs do not appreciate. Most agree that the straight foam filters such as Uni Filters are a better option for the cv type carbs. Another thing about the knock offs that mikes sells is they have an internal lip that often times at least partially block off ports in the bell of the carbs that need to be open for proper function of the carbs.

Very cool bike! I'd like to see more pics.

Get some fresh oil and gas (petrol? Haha) in that bike and start kicking! Is the ignition system still breaker points in a 1979 UK model? If so, they might need a filing/cleaning. Let us know if she fires up!

Very nice! I'd keep it as is if it were me!

Whereabouts in the UK are you? You might want to check out CustomXS650.com, UK based site,mostly UK guys on there, all very friendly and helpful as they are here, except they are in the UK! Not as busy as this forum though.

That bike looks awesome,it looks like a well planed build with a specific look intended.The tank matches every thing else,I wouldn't change a thing.The bubbling of the paint doesn't come from sitting in a shed,the paint work wasn't done correctly.Just my opinion but I would change the fluids filters and old tires are NOT safe.Run it for the summer as is and come winter strip it down sand blast the frame and tins and before any body plastic spray a few coats of acid based self etching primer.I use 3m brand and I don't care how old the paint gets it shouldn't ever bubble.

Back