First time bike owner looking for some carb help!

jkeller1992

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all! My name is Jesse and I have just recently picked up my first motorcycle, an xs650, of course.

I have a lot to learn, and hope I'm not wasting all of you guy's time with these questions.

Here is my situation:

I have cleaned my carburetors by dissembling and soaking the full assembly in a gallon of carburetor/parts cleaner. They didn't seem very dirty, but I still took the time to use the cleaning tools, etc. to make them perfect.

I also ran new vacuum lines into the backs of my pod filters to imitate the factory air box set up.

I've cleaned the wiring harness up completely, and even updated the glass fuses to blade fuses.

Last night, I got my bike all back together after doing a clutch case gasket replacement
and putting my exhaust on.

With one kick, it started no problem and sounded great. I did notice though, that it required me to give it a little throttle to keep it sounding like a truly healthy idle.

I didn't think anything of it at the time, it was cold and rainy last night and I did start it with the choke not on.

Anywho, before I drag this out any longer, I went to ride it today and it started just fine. Idled healthy under it's own power for about 3 minutes, then shut off. I started it again and tried to take it for a very brief spin around my apartment parking lot. Under throttle, it seemed to lose power and bog down. It then shut off again. I did some small tinkering to it, and tried starting again. It will now not start.

Also, I believe one of my petcocks is leaking gas. Rebuild kits for those are on the way!

Any general tips, tricks, advice? Should I just rebuild the entire carburetor?

You may need to now after that complete dunk and soaking. There are rubber seals on both ends of the butterfly shafts. You may have screwed them up with the soaking.

What you think is a carb problem may be electrical in nature. Check for spark, especially right after it dies and won't re-start. It might be bad coils. Many times when they act up, they only do so after they get hot.

Yes, basically an unbolt the old, bolt in the new affair. Oh, plug all the wires in too, lol. But make sure that's the problem 1st before spending money on something you may not need.

Honestly, it would make sense. It starts fine when cold, but was impossible to start once I rode it. I've been told I should upgrade my stator to one out of a banshee.

Well, the stator is for charging. It has nothing to do with the ignition (other than having the timing marks on it).

Fair enough. My points are new, so that's at least good. So concentrate on my ignition coils? Sorry if I come off as ignorant, but this is all completely new to me!

Screenshot2014-07-15at22325PM_zps60332ac0.png
"]
Screenshot2014-07-15at22325PM_zps60332ac0.png
[/URL]

Like I said, don't buy anything until you determine exactly what the problem is. Did you test for spark? If you have none then it could very well be the coils. But it could be something as simple as multiple dirty or bad wire connections. The resistance through them grows as things heat up to the point that nothing gets through.

Back