First XS 650 build.....hopefully it all works out!

Gio_rosa16

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! My name is Gio and I'm Air Force Stationed at Offutt AFB in Bellevue, Nebraska. This is my first build. It's a 1978 XS 650 Special. I plan on bobbing it and making it a fun ride. I ordered parts a few days ago and I should be getting them in in a few days. I'll be posting more pictures this weekend so you can see the progression of tear down. Tell me what you guys think.

I attached a few pictures of its current condition. In 2 days it's going to start to look a lot different.

-Gio

Attachments

• bike 1.jpg
    bike 1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 169
  • bike 2.jpg
    bike 2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 170
  • bike 3.jpg
    bike 3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 170
  • bike 4.jpg
    bike 4.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 169
Welcome to the single greatest source of XS-pertise on the planet!

Looks like you've got a good solid bike to start from, be interesting to see where you go with it.

My brother was stationed at Offutt in the 60's. I was 10 or 11 when Mom & Dad, little brother and I drove out from Michigan for his wedding. LONG time ago...

Well after getting a day at 54 degrees here in Nebraska in January, I was able to put in about 2.5 hours of work in. Considering this is my first bike build, there was a slight learning curve. I was able to basically work on the back half and get most of the electronics squared away. Today, I got my shipments from MikesXS and Lowbrow.

So far I got:

TC Bros Hardtail
Sully's Seat with kit
Lowbrow Alien Axed Tank
Lowbrow 6" rear fender
Biltwell 7/8" Frisco bars
TC bros Battery box and electronics oil tank
MikesXs front master cylinder

I should be getting my exhaust in from Mike's on thursday as well as new clutch lever and perch. Then I should be getting my carb rebuild kit with pod filters next week.

I hope to get in the garage this week to get the bike completely stripped so I can start cutting and get the hardtail welded up. I have the main OEM parts that I plan on selling. If anyone is interested in them, I will gladly take offers. PM me and let me know if you're interested.

Now here is a quick question. Does anyone have any tips of getting the wheels off without have to use an impact gun. Once I get the wheels off I can finally get down to getting everything else done. Hope to hear from you guys soon!:bike:

Attachments

• bike 5.jpg
    bike 5.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 204
  • bike 8.jpg
    bike 8.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 186
  • bike 7.jpg
    bike 7.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 179
  • bike 6.jpg
    bike 6.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 170
hey everybody! so quick update on my build. I was able to tear down the rest of the bike. I have the bike ready to cut hopefully this weekend. I was able to grind the tank and give it that brushed look and well as create a pseudo fork brace out of the old fender. I'm going to drill new holes to bring it a little closer to the tire for a cleaner look. More pictures to come! (sorry about the crappy phone pics. its all i have for a camera)

Let me know what you guys think so far! I will get more pictures up this coming weekend of the cutting and the mock up. Thanks for all the views and support!

-Gio

Attachments

• bike 11.jpg
    bike 11.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 155
  • bike 10.jpg
    bike 10.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 152
  • bike 9.jpg
    bike 9.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 166
  • bike 14.jpg
    bike 14.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 166
  • bike 12.jpg
    bike 12.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 155
  • bike 13.jpg
    bike 13.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 173
Hey everybody! Well i decided to spend another lovely Nebraska winter Saturday cutting the bike down. It was a solid 30 degrees out but nothing was going to stop me. I was able to cut the frame down to be able to get it ready to get it welded up. I also had a chance to do a quick mock up as you can see by the pictures. Let me know what you guys think so far. I plan on powder coating the frame black while powder coating the wheels Cherry red and leaving everything else raw metal. I'm really excited to get it all assembled. As soon as I get it assembled, I will start posting more pictures of my build. Thanks for all the views!!

-Gio

Attachments

• bike 20.jpg
    bike 20.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 172
  • bike 19.jpg
    bike 19.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 195
  • bike 18.jpg
    bike 18.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 162
  • bike 17.jpg