First XS 650. What should I do for my engine?

XS-IVE Habit

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just bought a 1975 XS 650, 7,714, that Climate-Climate controlled storage for 30 years. She runs perfectly, but what should I do to the motor? K&N filter pods, I see MikesXS offers a oil filter replacment. All I want to do is make my motor more dependable, I do not want to lose any dependibility for performence. Any suggestions guys?

The sump oil filter is prone to tearing. Mike's sells an upgraded and reinforced sump filter but I've heard the quality control is crap. The one I got seemed fine but there are pictures floating around of mangled filters from Mike's. The cam chain tensioner is made of plastic and tends to fall apart after a while, leaving little pieces of black plastic in the engine oil. It's a bitch to get to if you replace it. The seals and gaskets are 30 years old and will probably need to be replaced. Rubber only lasts so long. Pamco Pete sells a nifty electronic ignition to replace your points. That's about it off the top of my head. It might need a rebuild if the seals are shot. If that's the case, I'd replace the cam chain tensioner plastic piece, the cam chain, the gaskets, the seals, and upgrade the oil filter and sump filter at the same time.

There are a ton of other upgrades you can do to the bike - suspension, brakes, etc.

You can put on the Performance Oil Filter/Cooler Kit from Mikes, that will give you a good paper filter for the oil system, keeping the revs below 2000 when warming up the engine from cold will help to stop the lower oil filter/strainer from breaking. the oil pressure is up around 15psi when cold , over reving is when the damage is done to the filter/Strainer,

So the oil filter cooler kit is a goood buy? I have been looking it over and I just want to make my engine as cool and happy as possible. I never over-rev and love a good warm up. Thanks to dad's watchful eye.

Here's what i would do. Buy Mikes dual lobe single points cam with the 17-6822 Dual output coil, and remove the regulator and rectifier and replace with Pamcopetes regulator/rectifier mod. you can sell the parts you have removed (ebay) and you would get enough to cover the costs of the replacments.

This will be less strain in the charging system and make it last longer and make the bike more reliable. I went for the 17-6822 coil because it is more forgiving if the plugs have not been grounded, (Note: when testing for spark with a dual output coil the lead/plug has to be grounded at all times), and still give a good spark for the cost. with this set up only one set of points and one condenser is needed so the other set is still there and can be hooked up in case of a break down. With the dual output coil on the bike, if you decide to get a Pamco ignition later on down the track then that is all you will need to buy as you will have every thing else you need on the bike

I'd drop the sump plate to check the filter. Change the oil and ride it. If there are problems they will come up. If not you can worry about it in the seat.

If you find the sump filter torn, don't throw it away, repair it with JB Weld .....

SumpFilters.jpg

You'll notice the pic includes one of Mike's "improved" filters. Although the screening is backed up by perforated sheet metal, it swings away from the screen in the area that is most prone to blowing out. It's reinforced everywhere except where it needs to be, lol. Oh, and the magnet fell out of the Mikes filter as well.

Back