First XS Build - Hilarity Ensues...

faster

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all. Been lurking for a while and finally created an account after picking up my first XS. I have been looking for a few months for a candidate to rebuild and happened to stumble into one I had to have. While sitting in a bar on the last night of a work trip I was cruising craigslist and found a 78 Special. I sent the PO a text immediately and got a response within minutes. Apparently PO works nights and 2am text messages get responded to. :D So after about an hour of back and forth via text message I had purchased a 78 Special, matching numbers, with title, that "ran". And apparently after I've had a few beers I'm a decent negotiator. Perfect. Almost. Couple small details I needed to nail down... I wonder how pissed the 6 month pregnant wife is going to be that I just bought a motorcycle after smashing my last one and telling her I was done with motorcycles? Oh well, that could wait. Don't sweat the small stuff, right?

So a few days later I made the drive to Iowa and picked this up in the PO's driveway...
full

full

He helped me load it into the truck... Which seriously should have been on camera. Me, hungover after driving to Iowa in a rented pickup. Bought tie-downs from home depot on the way there and with no way to get this into the truck. We looked around for a while and found a 2x6 which would be ok if it was longer than 3ft. Ah well, work with what you got. I asked which end he wanted; bed of the truck or push the bike? He volunteered to hop into the truck while I backed the bike up to get a running start and maybe have a chance to get it up the "ramp" far enough for him to grab. All was going well up until the point the front tire hit the "ramp" and sent it straight up into his... uhm, yeah. He dropped :cussing:, I almost lost the bike and we took a break while I tried not to laugh too hard at the situation. :laughing: After we regained composure, for our seperate reasons, we found a more suitable 2x12 that was about 10ft long, gracefully got her loaded and I made some smartass comment about "how painful it is to part with a bike". Yeah, I'm that guy.

Off we went, back to KC:
full

Now the fun part can begin! First things first, that seat and those things someone decided could be passed off as handlebars :wtf: had to go straight into the swap meet pile:
full

*whew* That was hard work. Should reward myself with a beer... or just keep tearing stuff off with reckless abandon. There's manuals that show how all this stuff goes back together. So day 1 in her new home had her looking like this:
full

Day 2... Drain the oil and start taking off some heavy stuff to pull the engine... hmm, all that metal dust/goop is a good sign, right?
full

Hrmm... Something mysteriously bad happened here:
full

So after draining the oil and pulling the side covers to discover lots of oily and metal death I moved on to other things to collect my thoughts. Removed the headlight ears to reveal shiny forks! Sweet, a positive moment:
full

Day 3... Remove the rear end, check. *Ding-dong* UPS shows up with my tank. Sweet, test fit time!
full

Looks like I will transfer the rear tab from the old tank and then put some rubber boots on the frame. That will have to wait.

Day 4... Carbs. Got them pulled, disassembled and cleaned up. All appears to be in good working order, some varnish in the bowls and on the floats needs to be cleaned up. Need to order a gasket/seal kit, might as well do it while I'm in here. Need to buy a bunch of jets too. Intake and exhaust plans I have in my head will definitely require a re-jet.

Next steps... Clean up carbs, reassemble and set aside. Pull motor and dive into that. Got a manual and been collecting all kinds of good reference material on that part. Probably go at that with a little less wrecklessness.

That's all for now kids... More to come as I slowly make progress.

Cheers!
:cheers:

looks like my first week with my bike ha. What's your overall plan for it?

I'm going as minimal as possible and will be adding modern components where it makes sense. I guess it's cafe style that I have in my head. Mod-cafe? :shrug: Things I'm kicking around; dual disc up front, hydraulic clutch, electronic ignition, big bore kit, rephase, etc. Looking into swapping the headlight over to HID... Not sure if it's going to fit because of the giant inverter that's needed. Anyone seen this done cleanly? I also have been contemplating a front end swap with an r6 or r1... That's pretty far down on the list. I was going to do a swap for spoked wheels, but the more I see bikes on these mags the more I like the look. Who knows. Time is on my side... the longer it stays not running, the longer my wife stays happy. :D

Cheers!

Looks like fun. In your pic titled "Hrmm... Something mysteriously bad happened here" I don't see anything obviously bad? That compartment is exposed to a constant shower of lube/dirt/water flinging off the chain as it makes the turn round the sprocket so it always looks dirty. Tabs on the washer are supposed to be bent like that as well to lock the nut. Clean it all up and keep an eye on the three seals there to make sure the oil is indeed coming from the chain and not escaping around those shafts.

Olathe KS..... Lived there my whole life growing up. I often swing up there to see my folks. If you need anything at all feel free to drop me a PM. I have more XS650 stuff then you can shake a stick at. Good luck with the build!

I have the AGT one in my Raider. Works great. Your low beam becomes HID (more than bright enough) and your high stays halogen. If the ballast ever fails you'll still have a headlight and when you switch from high to low it looks like your going from yellow to white getting the attention of drivers who might pull out on you.

I have the AGT one in my Raider. Works great. Your low beam becomes HID (more than bright enough) and your high stays halogen. If the ballast ever fails you'll still have a headlight and when you switch from high to low it looks like your going from yellow to white getting the attention of drivers who might pull out on you.

I run a xentec slim HID kit from ebay. I don't have a high beam, as my triangle headlight is not setup for dual filaments. The kit was about 30 bucks and is for a car, so you get a pair of ballasts and bulbs.

Olathe KS..... Lived there my whole life growing up. I often swing up there to see my folks. If you need anything at all feel free to drop me a PM. I have more XS650 stuff then you can shake a stick at. Good luck with the build!

Good to know! I actually made the deal on this bike while sitting in a bar in Wichita. I'm down there a few times a month for work. Haven't run into anything I need yet, but I'm sure the list will start to grow as I crack into the case.

Had some time to tool around tonight, but found myself lacking tools/parts to really do anything substantial. Grabbed some angle iron and started playing with a Tig for the first time to throw together an engine stand. That definitely needs some practice, good thing I have an angle grinder. Needless to say, I do not yet have an engine stand.

I resigned myself to drinking beer and attempting to smooth the dent out of my donor tank with a bent piece of rebar working the dent from the inside. Made a little progress, but drilling and pulling is probably the route I'll end up taking. Not sure I buy into the fill with water and freeze or air-hose methods. And i definitely don't want to bondo a dent that size.

So after my forearms were sore from trying to finesse the dent out of the tank I hopped on Mikes and put together what I thought are necessities for a motor rebuild. I'm pretty sure a 277 rephase by Hugh is in order and not knowing condition of cylinders I didn't want to go overboard on my first order:

1 x Engine Oil Seal Kit-(10/pc) OEM Japan (01-9010)
1 x Athena Premium Overhaul Gasket Set (18-0208)
1 x 27mm. Socket - 1/2" Drive 6 pt. Deep (35-1078)
2 x Mikuni Carb Rebuild Kit - 78-79 BS 38 (48-7879)

So knowing that I've seen metal shavings in the oil and that a rephase is in the cards, what other things are no-brainers to replace while I'm in there? What other tools specific to this engine are necessary/recommended?

After placing my order I started filling up the shopping cart again:

Oil Filter Screen (in RH engine side cvr)
OEM type Oil Filter Strainer (Sump)
Valve lapping sticks
Valve lapping paste

This really should be a "tear-down" thread instead of a "build" thread...

Cheers

The drain plug sludge looks normal for a 650. No telling what condition the of the motor is really in. I would get it running and do the normal maintence or even ride it before the rephase and dumping your money into it first. the oil in the chain area is from a leaky push rod seal. Usually caused by a worn bushing. New seal and bushing problem solved. How many miles does it have on it. Hope you like it when it's finished. :D Good luck on your build. :thumbsup:

You need a new drive chain and sprockets. From the picture the front sprocket is badly worn. Best to replace all at the same time. 17 T front 32 T rear is a good all around choice.

Back