Fitting a SR500 front wheel to a 1974 TX650

Gareth Piggott

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
This is my first post on the forum.
Recently I have bought a 1974 TX650, it came with an incorrectly fitted wheel of a 650SE (cast) I have purchased a spoked 19 inch front wheel of a 1990's SR500
My bike has the original 34mm front forks
I have tried fitting the wheel with an SR500 spacer and TX speedo gearbox but the wheel does not centre
My question is simple -
has anyone on the forum fitted an SR500 wheel to an early (ish) TX/XS
what spacers did you use
look forward to drawing on the collective wisdom of the forum
Thanks
Gareth

That hub is narrower as you now know. To use it you will need to make custom spacers for; the RH axle side, for the LH speedo drive, this spacer will need a tang and slots to hold the speedo drive from turning. AND the rotor will need to be spaced out to center it in the caliper slot. In short; unless you are long on time, aluminum stock and a lathe, fuggitaboutit and go find the right wheel.
We just tilled this ground in a thread earlier this week.

That's brilliant, thanks for bouncing back so quickly - I did search the forum to see if there was any info about but failed miserably, any chance you could post a link
You kind of confirmed my suspicion that it would be easiest to start again, trouble is here in the UK its difficult to find a spoked front wheel for an XS
Anyone on the forum got one they want to sell.
Thanks

Welcome aboard. post a wanted in the classies? hint fill in your details, it's helps us to know where in the world you are, what bike, mods you have when we are answering questions. There are some UK/euro XS650 groups on facebook and perhaps elsewhere.

Hi folks
This is my first post on the forum.
Recently I have bought a 1974 TX650, it came with an incorrectly fitted wheel of a 650SE (cast) I have purchased a spoked 19 inch front wheel of a 1990's SR500
My bike has the original 34mm front forks
I have tried fitting the wheel with an SR500 spacer and TX speedo gearbox but the wheel does not centre
My question is simple -
has anyone on the forum fitted an SR500 wheel to an early (ish) TX/XS
what spacers did you use
look forward to drawing on the collective wisdom of the forum
Thanks
Gareth

Hi Gareth and welcome,
the cast wheel that the bike came with works and the brake disk and caliper line up OK?
Plan 2. Fit a drum brake cast rear to match? It'll drop straight in. XS650 parts swap like LEGO.

Back