fitting in line fuel filters

spitfire

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm fitting in line fuel filters to the bike and would like to know must i fit them vertically or can they be fitted horizontally. only there isnt much room to fit them them between the fuel tap and the carb if i do them vertically, the pipes seem a bit kinked. any suggestions ?

thanks

Mine is horizontal. I cut an old one apart and internally it's like a bulge in the hose, in terms of flow. The only reason I could see for making it vertical would be so the weight of the fuel could help push the gas through the element, in a case where the element was real restrictive or getting dirty and restrictive. Also, vertically there would be more element area the gas could try and go through, if it was restrictive. So I would say vertical if possible, but mine works anyhow :)

Vertically, I think a good place for it would be just right at the T, if your carbs are like mine.

Last edited:
It shouldn't make a difference, vertical or not. The pressure for the system comes from the fuel in the tank - if that's not enough to push through the filter, which way you mount it isn't going to change anything.

That's correct if the element is perfectly free flowing. If it was restrictive I think vertical (and a full tank) would be best. I don't understand it, but it's intuitively obvious :)

much room to fit them them between the fuel tap and the carb if i do them vertically, the pipes seem a bit kinked. thanks
Since you said "pipes" I assume you have individualy fed carbs. You are right trying to get 2 in between the frame and the butterfly brace on the carbs is tough. I cut 1/16' off the inside and relieved the side areas some. It made it easier. They also have plastic fuel line "Y"s that could be used to feed off one petcock instead of two.
Those that have the single feed may consider turning the inlet down coming out the side and up to the petcock for easier installs of the filter. Just a couple of many ways to skin that cat.

one thing on filters, you may notice they will not appear to fill compleatly don't worry about it the air bubble will come and go they will supply the needed fuel just fine

hi
thanks for your advice. after spending the morning fitting the filters (which perhaps are a bit long) and getting the air boxes back in i now realize how silly my questions was.

in an ideal world with plenty of space i would fit them vertically, however with the limited space available i'm just glad i got them in at all !!!

i wouldnt have bothered fitting them normally but the bike wouldnt start and eventually i took off the float bowls to find a lot of sediment and other stuff that must have come through when i ran out of fuel recently.

oh well, live and learn

At least once, you should test the flow of the filter all the way to an empty tank. Some of the paper filters stop flowing as the tank gets lower because there is not enough pressure to get through the paper. This means that you will "run out of gas" before you reach the reserve. That will probably happen when you are 30 miles from the nearest gas station, at night when it's raining. :eek:

Back