Fixed short, kick start makes 4-5 backfires... it get's worse

RoccoStreetTracker

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My bike has been sitting for almost two weeks since I had to wait for the glass 20A fuse to come in the mail.

Fixed the shorts in the wiring for the tail and break light.

When I fixed the shorts, I stuck the voltometer on battery and tested while revving. The volts jumped up and everything seemed good. In fact, the bike was very easy to start.

That was Saturday.

Today it was super hot in the garage. Pull the choke, edge a key in the choke to hold it open. Kick a few times. Backfires.

Take wedge out of choke and she fires up... after 3-5 kicks. It did not want to stay running.

Go down the road (1/2 mile to my shop) and it feels like it's running VERY sluggish. Sounds the same, just way sluggish ...at this point I'm wondering if I'm running off one spark plug???

Get it to my shop (I make specialized safes/locks/bags for banks), she does not want to idle.

Someone give me some relief!

Also, I'm a TOTAL NOOB, first bike ever. The PO told me to wedge the choke open to start. Should I put the petcock to Prime first?

Thanks for the help!:banghead:

First, get rid of those glass fuses. A LOT of problems right there. Get the newer blade fuses.

Yes, if you have "prime" petcocks, use it. Probably will help with starting her up.

When you kick over, slowly move the kicker down until you "feel" TDC(top dead centre), the rotation will start to feel a bit tight. Now release and then kick her over. Hopefully no backfiring then as the pistons will be moving down on ignition.

Have you checked for spark? And why do you need to "wedge" the choke? It should stay open on its own.

Have you cleaned the carbs? I would strip them down and go through every hole and crevice. Search for the carb guide here to help you with that, or go here http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf

All good advice I'm sure. I'll try and start it with Prime position and see what's up.

According to the list of things done by the PO, the carbs were cleaned not that long ago...

I'll check for spark, when I took out the plugs, this is what I saw:
oDT5Tqg.jpg

The first thing I'd do is get some new spark plugs. You appear to be using the wrong kind. You should have the "BP" style with the projected electrode. Yours look like the standard type plug. Go to the auto parts store and get a 4 pack of NGK BP7ES plugs.

CorrectSparkPlugs.jpg

Replaced the plugs and she fired right up.

I used Prime to start it (starts first or second kick).

No to replace the old fuse block, sort out the electric starter, add blinker, horn, etc.
Kind of funny to add stuff back on that someone worked so hard to delete.

Back