Flasher Relay help.

650cafexs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My bike is a 1978 SE model, I recently converted to an LED tail light with turns, running, and brake all integrated into a single bar light - and ran into the obvious issue of the stock mechanical flasher relay not tripping due to the lack of resistance from my new lights having less draw than the stock bulbs. I decided to go through the same company I bought my tail light from, and buy a solid state flasher unit from them, thinking it would fix my issue.

My problem currently, is I've got the new solid state relay wired into the correct ports (for some reason my wire colors for the flasher relay match the "SG" model according to my manual.) and I'm getting a steady pulse of 10v - 0v on my multimeter through the yellow wire which I wired into the third (and only existing) port. When I do this, I get no turn signals...no constant light, no blinking, nothing when I hit the switch. I did a sanity check and found my old existing running/brake light that came stock with the bike, and grounded the bulb and ran the positive lead to the yellow "Flashing" wire, and got a nice steady blink out of the bulb -

So I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now, or if I've got something conflicting with the solid state unit? I read somewhere that the flasher cancelling unit may be an issue? I tried disconnecting it and tripping the signals again with no success and have now hit a brick wall. Anyone got any answers or wisdom to share with me?:banghead:

Posting to let you guys know that I fixed my own problem - being my first time working with stuff like this, I automatically assumed 3 wires, 3 ports, should work. What I was doing wrong, was taking the direct power into the solid state relay (which was fine), but then I was plugging the output for the relay into the flasher canceling unit port - So, thinking my turn signal input was a ground, I was grounding my relay in the input...which of course isn't going to have power :banghead: Once I tested it on good earth and ran the output from the flasher into what I THOUGHT was a ground port, my signals started flashing... It's times like this that remind me that I have no idea what the hell I'm doing sometimes, :shrug: heh.

Back